Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iPhone saves two pictures when i take one. One is darker than the other. Why? How do I stop it?

My iPhone saves two pictures when I take one. One is darker than the other. Why two and why darker? How do I stop this nonsense?

iPhone 4

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 12:56 PM

You have HDR enabled. Tap on the 'options' button and then slide 'HDR' to off.

HDR stands for 'high dynamic range', and it refers to a type of photography where pictures with two (or more) exposures are taken and combined so that lighter parts of the image are slightly under exposed, and darker parts are overexposed. The resulting picture shows more detail in light and dark regions of the picture.

On an iOS device, it saves two pictures in HDR mode: the exposure if you didn't take an HDR picture, and the HDR exposure (which is, actually, two pictures combined together). You'll note that in the HDR mode, the image needs to be pretty static or else you get a strange double-exposure effect.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2012 12:56 PM in response to your forester

You have HDR enabled. Tap on the 'options' button and then slide 'HDR' to off.

HDR stands for 'high dynamic range', and it refers to a type of photography where pictures with two (or more) exposures are taken and combined so that lighter parts of the image are slightly under exposed, and darker parts are overexposed. The resulting picture shows more detail in light and dark regions of the picture.

On an iOS device, it saves two pictures in HDR mode: the exposure if you didn't take an HDR picture, and the HDR exposure (which is, actually, two pictures combined together). You'll note that in the HDR mode, the image needs to be pretty static or else you get a strange double-exposure effect.

my iPhone saves two pictures when i take one. One is darker than the other. Why? How do I stop it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.