Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java wrapper around Objective-C driver

Hi developers,

I have a pickle of a situation. I've got this barcode scanner device (OPN 2001). I've also got an SDK for it whitch includes a .dylib file (I assume it's the API for the device). I do not know objective-C. I've spoken to guys who built the device and wrote the MAC API and they do not have a Java API for it, but they told me that it would be possible to build a Java wrapper around the Objective-C driver. I am not sure if this is more of a Java question or software developement on MAC, but I jus wanted to ask what sort of options I have or how I should go around this. The software I am planning to write would pull data of the device process it and erase the device memory. I've bee working with Java for couple of years, but I am not sure where to start with this on a MAC. That's all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 3:14 PM

5 replies

Mar 14, 2012 6:28 PM in response to Flynn91

I suggest you explore the Opticon Mac SDK a bit. I downloaded it from the vendor's product wiki (here). It looks like a typical C API. Not Objective-C. A single header file (opn_interface.h). Read the notes in the header file, which state the driver "utilizes the Carbon Event Manager to signal client code..." I am not well versed in Java on OS X, if you decide to head down that road, first make sure Java surfaces these Carbon Events (perhaps in SWT?). I would get the C++ example program fully up-and-running in Xcode as is, before jumping off in another direction. That might be challenging enough since the dates show last updated 2007.

Mar 14, 2012 8:14 PM in response to Llessur999

I've tried to get the xcode project up and running but i did not succeed. I've never used it before and the amount of configuration and compiler error is way too overwhelming. I'm a bit confused with the Carbon Events. How would i find if they could be exising in SWT? I've got a Java Wrapper written for the libopn_driver.dylib its just the Handlers that stop the progress now. What if my program wont use GUIs? Would I still need the Carbon?

Thanks

Mar 17, 2012 3:41 PM in response to Flynn91

I can't answer Java questions. But I did get the sample project to build and run. I don't have an OPN 2001 device so I can't verify it works. I think it is waiting to detect the device connection. Using OS X 10.6.8 with Xcode 4.2 (4C199) I had to make these changes before it would build and run.

1. Set the architecture and base SDK. I first tried Standard (32/64-bit Intel) but this didn't work, possibly because the dylib is 32-bit. So I used 32-bit Intel. After setting the project build settings, verify that the opn_test target build settings match, otherwise update them also.

User uploaded file

2. Add a build rule to copy the dylib so it can be found when debugging (running).

User uploaded file

The 50 compiler warnings look harmless. 46 of them are complaints about a deprecated string conversion technique used to initialize an array.

Mar 28, 2012 3:49 PM in response to Llessur999

I have made some progress in to the code, however I keep getting Linker error even though I've set settings as you advised in your screen shots. This is my error:

Ld /Users/dainius/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/opn_test-hhrksrzhnnrlqhbcprm oehryekhe/Build/Products/Debug/opn_test normal i386

cd "/Users/dainius/Downloads/SDK_EGFS012x/API/OS X/opn_test"

setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.7

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/ usr/bin/clang++ -arch i386 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/ SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk -L/Users/dainius/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/opn_test-hhrksrzhnnrlqhbcp rmoehryekhe/Build/Products/Debug "-L/Users/dainius/Downloads/SDK_EGFS012x/API/OS X/opn_test/build/Frameworks" "-L/Users/dainius/Downloads/SDK_EGFS012x/API/OS X/opn_test/build/Frameworks" -F/Users/dainius/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/opn_test-hhrksrzhnnrlqhbcp rmoehryekhe/Build/Products/Debug -filelist /Users/dainius/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/opn_test-hhrksrzhnnrlqhbcprm oehryekhe/Build/Intermediates/opn_test.build/Debug/opn_test.build/Objects-normal /i386/opn_test.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.7 -framework Carbon -lopn_driver -o /Users/dainius/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/opn_test-hhrksrzhnnrlqhbcprm oehryekhe/Build/Products/Debug/opn_test

Undefined symbols for architecture i386:

"readData(OPNDriver*, int*)", referenced from:

GetPrintAndClearCodes(OPNDriver*) in main.o

"getASCIIMode(OPNDriver*, bool*)", referenced from:

"getRTCMode(OPNDriver*, bool*)", referenced from:

"getBarcode(OPNDriver*, char*, int, int*)", referenced from:

"timeStamp2String(OPNDriver*, char*, int, signed char*)", referenced from:

"clearDataCmd(OPNDriver*)", referenced from:

"setParamCmd(OPNDriver*, signed char, char*, int)", referenced from:

ParametersAndTime(OPNDriver*) in main.o

"getParamCmd(OPNDriver*, signed char, char*, int*)", referenced from:

"setDefaultsCmd(OPNDriver*)", referenced from:

"getTimeCmd(OPNDriver*, signed char*, signed char*)", referenced from:

"setTimeCmd(OPNDriver*, signed char*, int)", referenced from:

"getEventClass()", referenced from:

OPNEventHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) in main.o

_main in main.o

"getEventKindInsert()", referenced from:

_main in main.o

"getEventKindRemove()", referenced from:

_main in main.o

"getEventKindDataAvailable()", referenced from:

_main in main.o

"CreateOPNInterface()", referenced from:

_main in main.o

"getLibraryVersion(OPNDriver*, char*, int)", referenced from:

_main in main.o

"enablePolling(OPNDriver*)", referenced from:

_main in main.o

"disablePolling(OPNDriver*)", referenced from:

_main in main.o

"DestroyOPNInterface(OPNDriver*)", referenced from:

_main in main.o

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Thanks again.

Java wrapper around Objective-C driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.