Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't open the program time machine located in the folder /applications/time machine anymore, messages says program ain't working. is there any way to reinstall time machine only on os x 10.7.3 ?

can't open the program time machine located in the folder /applications/time machine anymore, message says program ain't working for unknown reaason, but I still can open time machine in the menu bar. any clues what the trouble might be? and/or is there any way to reinstall time machine only on os x 10.7.3?

btw., on the system backup hd which is a mirror of the imac system, the programm still works

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), thanks for any useful hint, j.a.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 3:26 PM

8 replies

Mar 13, 2012 4:35 PM in response to J. Ackermann

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Try the action again. Post any messages that appear in the Console window – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Mar 14, 2012 1:34 PM in response to Linc Davis

In fact, what solved the problem was to replace the 2 remaining files in the preferences folder on the mac hd through the 3 preferences files from the back up hd and to bring the icon back to the dock as well, because it had disappeared there too. On the mac hd were two files left only, the 3rd one has disappeared into cyberspace, but for now Time Machine works well again on both hd drives, internal and external, so far so good.

Btw, that was so far the 1st and only issue I've encountered with the new intel iMac and os x 10.7.3, it generally runs just smooth, fast and fine :-)

Thanks and regards, J. A. from Switzerland

Mar 17, 2012 10:16 PM in response to J. Ackermann

This reply makes no sense in the context of this thread. No where in the replies you got is there any references to resetting or preference files. I agree with Linc here that you should provide more info about what you did.

For the record, I had the same problem and installing the Supplemental update fixed my problem with no need to reset or mess with preference files.

Mar 18, 2012 4:00 AM in response to Omerod

Ok, here's what I did after Time Machine didn't started up on my Mac HD, with the message that the programm was damaged, and the symbol which I've placed in the dock had disapeared as well.

I'm running a bootable clone of OS X 10.7.3 on a external HD, and Time Machine was still working fine there.

I've checked the preferences folders for the TM prefs on both HD's, there were actually 3 prefs files on the external HD and 2 prefs files left only on the Mac HD (one file has disappeared for reasons I don't know).

I've replaced the 2 remaining TM prefs files at the Mac HD with the 3 TM prefs files from the back up HD and did a restart using the Mac HD again, and that solved the problem definitely.

Maybe that's not the smartest way to fix such problems, but after all it worked.

can't open the program time machine located in the folder /applications/time machine anymore, messages says program ain't working. is there any way to reinstall time machine only on os x 10.7.3 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.