Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am getting a Firewall message that says...

This one is for the PRO's. I wonder if anyone can help me with this.

I am getting a Firewall message that reads:

The service "(Common Internet File System (CIFS))" is starting on your Mac.

Application: sbin > launchd

Port: 445 (Common Internet File System (CIFS))

It also says: if you don't change firewall settings, the firewall wil block connections from other computers to this ervice on your Mac.

What does this mean? I never got this before.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mac Pro 2.8 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6), NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB, 10gigs Ram

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 9:19 PM

7 replies

Mar 13, 2012 9:43 PM in response to Bill H.

According to this,

Well known TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products

port 445 is for a Microsoft domain server. So it looks like some microsoft software is trying to "call home" for some reason.

If I saw that on my machine I would block it or not let it through. I don't permit stuff communicating with third parties unless I am aware of what it is and why it is happening.

Of course, out of curiousity I would also google "Common Internet File System" to see what that means in case I decide to let it through.

FWIW, one of those google search hits found this. So you know what microsoft stuff you are using and thus you have decide whether to let it though. YOu could be concervative, and block it and see what "breaks" if anything. You could always decide to unblock it later if necessary.

Mar 14, 2012 1:56 PM in response to Bill H.

Since "this one is for the PRO's", and I'm not a PRO (or even a PRO's), I won't breathe a word.

I might've said that CIFS is practically the same thing as SMB, that the message did not come from the OS (nor from MS Office), and that you probably installed some SMB/CIFS server app, perhaps DAVE or perhaps some software which came with a NAS.

Might've… but I'll keep mum.

I am getting a Firewall message that says...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.