Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using AppleScript to rename files by folder hierarchy

I have thousands of music projects with a somewhat fixed folder hierarchy and I'm trying to first rename and then extract (move) certain files from their original location.

Here is the most common example of the hierarchy: ProjectName/Info/Setups/fixed name file (either a pdf, txt or jpg)

My goal is to have these files renamed after their parent folders, all the way up to the Project Name and then have them moved to a set folder, out of this dull dictatorship I've created, so my files would end up with a name like this: ProjectName - Info - Setups - fixed name file

Would someone care to explain how could I achieve this via AppleScript?

Thanks.

iMac 20'', Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 10:19 PM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2012 10:03 AM in response to Vitu

Had the answer in front of me all the time: A Better Finder Rename!

I know that I shouldn't be lazy and that I should learn some AppleScript, but having the ability to do that via GUI was too tempting (after I realized it was waiting for me patiently).

So where should I begin with AppleScript, any sugestions on sources? And no, really, Google is not my friend.

Thanks.

Using AppleScript to rename files by folder hierarchy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.