Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I get the spinning beachball.......

when I try to print something from all applications and when I try to use microsoft word 08. Does anyone know why this happens during these times?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 9:48 PM

31 replies

Mar 13, 2012 10:05 PM in response to redman78

Hello,

Very Important, how much Free Space is on your Hard Drive first of all? Click on the Macintosh HD on the Desktop, then do a Get Info on it.

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

Mar 14, 2012 2:21 PM in response to redman78

Unplug the Printer (disconnect from the tower).

Does the condition improve?

Brings up an important troubleshooting point; disconnect ALL but mouse, keyboard and monitor while troubleshooting.

Once the machine is stable in that configuration, add one additional device at a time.

BTW, in System Profiler/Hardware/Diagnostics, are there any failed POST notations? Failed Memory/RAM notations?

Mar 14, 2012 3:05 PM in response to japamac

Unplugged the printer, still the same symptoms. Everything checks out fine in diagnostics. Memory/RAM also checks out fine.

When I click Printer in the system profiler nothing loads up. I just get the spinning gear forever.

Also, nothing comes up in Console. When I click print & fax I immediately get the BBOD and everything freezes. I did let it go for a while to see if something would change.

Mar 14, 2012 2:58 PM in response to redman78

Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, test if things work OK in Safe Mode.

Then move these files to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.

Mar 15, 2012 10:20 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes it still did beach ball in safe mode. I can't decifer in Console what a BBOD is classified as. What should I be looking for? Also, I have a second internal hard drive. Should I do everything you told me to do with the bootable drive to the other one as well? I didn't think at first it would be the problem. Can it be?

Mar 15, 2012 11:22 AM in response to redman78

The other drive could be a problem.

Hard to say what to look for in Console & system log until we find it, but not the Date/Time of the BBOD, the log should be Date/Time stamped & we look for that. Sometimes it'll be repeated messages, or it might say failed, or something else.

Also, open Activity Monitor, Show: All Processes, sort on CPU%, any clues when the BBOD happens?

Mar 16, 2012 7:28 AM in response to BDAqua

I just repaired disk for the other hard drive. Still the same symptoms.

Here are some things I found in Console.

- com.apple.SystemStarter[38] kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /Library/Extensions/VirtualPCOSServices.kext/Contents/MacOS/VirtualPCOSServices

- com.apple.SystemStarter[38] link/load failed for extension /Library/Extensions/VirtualPCOSServices.kext

- com.apple.SystemStarter[38] kextunload: unload id com.microsoft.VirtualPC.OSServices failed (result code 0xe00002c2)

I get the spinning beachball.......

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.