Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has 10.7.3 solved various problems?

To date, my current model iMac and its Lion 10.7.2 has 12 glitches/annoyances/bugs, many of which have been mentioned here.

Has anyone fround that Lion 10.7.3 has cured or helped with any of the various bugs etc?

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 6:58 AM

19 replies

Mar 14, 2012 7:38 AM in response to CT

Really!! Here is an almost-complete list of the faults in my Lion 10.7.0,1,2:

----------------------------

FAULTS IN MY IMAC/LION

1. Mail disconnects once or twice a week. Needs quitting and re-launching
  2. Magic Mouse connection lost several times per week (or a day). No workaround.
  3. iPhoto hangs. Requires a Force Quit and restart of the iMac.
  4. Magic Mouse pointer suddenly careers across the window, scrolling it.
  5. CCC External Firewire 800 drive unmounts every 10 days.
  6. TM states 3 times that it is full, yet GetInfo shows it half full. Need to erase and start again.

7 Canon printer reports nearly every time that it is use by another application. Requires USB to be unplugged and reconnected.

1. Quicktime sometimes jumps to another part of the movie, 10 to 20 munutes away.
  2. Brightness of screen dims, or over-brightens, and has to be manually re-adjusted.
  3. Applications don’t always recognise their assigned desktop even when that application has a window open on that desktop.
  4. Word 2011 three times refused to save, disc error (spurious).
  5. Mouse pointer disappears. Must click on desktop to get it back.

No such problems with G5 and OS 10.5

These have been present since I installed Lion. I have re-instaled it again - no change. No haxies or doubtful software. Permissions regularly repaired.

---------------------

Please confirm whether all of these have been fixed. (And how do you know please?)

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2012 7:40 AM in response to SteveKir

Here are some suggestions for getting the best results from this site.

Give details of the problem. A statement such as "it doesn't work" conveys no information. If it did work, you wouldn't be here. Instead, you should post something like this: "I did A; I was expecting B; but I got C instead." Include the complete text of any error messages you saw and where you saw them: in an application window, a CrashReporter window, a log, or whatever. Also include the steps you’ve taken yourself, if any, to try to resolve the issue. If the problem is of recent origin, did you make any changes to your setup just before you first noticed it?

Search the discussions for answered questions similar to yours before posting. If you found any relevant information, but it didn't help, include details.

Is the problem reproducible or intermittent? That is, does it always manifest itself when you take a certain action, or only at unpredictable times?

If asking about third-party software, specify what it is, the website where you got it (if applicable), and what version you have. Ask the developer for help first. Include the results of that contact in your message: what you did, and what happened.

Mar 14, 2012 10:18 AM in response to SteveKir

Magic Mouse connection lost several times per week (or a day). No workaround.

The Magic Mouse has known problems with the batteries maintaining solid contact with the electical connections. The batteries shift and loose contact and your mouse drops offline. Search for "Magic Mouse and Batteries" and you should find out more.

Magic Mouse pointer suddenly careers across the window, scrolling it.

It is possible your Magic Mouse is dying (another possibility for your troubles). I have generally see mice (generic) misbehaving because the device is starting to die (in cases where mouse has a cable, it is sometimes due to the cable breaking a wire inside).

CCC External Firewire 800 drive unmounts every 10 days.

What is CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner?) or the name of an external hard drive vendor? Generally speaking external devices disconnect because the device has decided to disconnect, not because the operating system told it to.

Other than that, I would suggest you follow Linc's advice, plus I would add, 1 problem per post, otherwise you will get people "Cherry Picking" the problems they like, and your thread will degerate into chasing one issue and all the others will be ignored. Might as well just use one thread per problem so it does not diverge.

Mar 14, 2012 10:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

My OP was simply asking whether the faults in my system had been solved. If so, I would risk upgrading to 10.7.3. If not, I would not and go to the next stage of taking my iMac to an Apple Centre. Most of my problems have been aired on this forum and I searched for them over the months. However, since you ask:

1. Mail. There is no apparent reason for it quitting. Triangle appear opposite every mailbox. Must quit and re-launch.

2. Mouse loosing connection. It does this about once every day, or second day, usually when I am in the middle of an operation and I lose my place. This can be very annoying if, eg., I am dragging something. Again, no solution. I am using Apple rechargeable batteries re-charged in an Apple charger. I do not think that the solution suggested many times here of packing the batteries with something to give them a good contact would work. Vibrating the mouse never causes the fault. It is very annoying. I sometimes give presentations to others and waiting for the mouse to reconnect has a bad impression on a usually Windows audience.

3. iPhoto hanging. After it has been used for a time (say a couple of hours) I keep it open on its own desktop and move to another desktop for some other operation. Then, a couple of days later, I use iPhoto again. OK. But, say, two days later when I go to select a photo or an album, it hangs, it simply refuses to respond to a mouse click on, eg., a photo. It has to be Force Quitted and usually the iMac needs to be restarted. If I quit iPhoto after using it, sometimes it refuses to launch and I have to restart he iMac.

4. Magic Mouse pointer suddenly careering all over the screen to a new place. I need to scroll back to my place and return to what I was doing.

5. CCC drive unmounting. This happens when I waken the iMac and I get a message from CCC saying that it has been unable to make its daily scheduled backup. No apparent reason.

5a (a new one, just arrived this second!) This message has totally greyed out and remains so but I can still type. (A few minutes later it ungreyed.

6 TM failures. They happened for no apparent reason. Workaround as stated. Once, as a test and after a full CCC backup, I went through the process of re-installing Lion and restoring from a TM backup, but Mail messages were all missing and another fault occurred which I cannot now remember.

7. Canon printer. The iMac often and randomly states that I cannot use my printer (when I have asked it to do a print job) because it is in use elsewhere. (I am not on a network.). It is not in use elsewhere.

8. Quicktime player jumping. This happens whenever I play any one of several 1-hour movies downloaded from the Harvard web site. It may be due to the originals being in the US system rather than PAL, and being in 30 FPS rather than 25, but if so, a useful message rather that a big crazy jump to another place would be a more elegant and useful way to inform me of trouble.

9. Brightness of screen. This has happened randomly about 5 times over the last few weeks. At first I thought that the screen had gone faulty, but I a System Preference had become unadjusted and I reset it each time.

10 Applications and their assigned desktops. I know that the switch to the assigned desktop only occurs when the application has a window opened in that desktop, but a few times it has not switched even when the window is opened. (Although I am prepared to think that perhaps I might be mistaken here, the window not in fact being always open.)

11 Word spurious errors. They were spurious, because when I got hold of the recovered file, it always resaved OK. And I have no other errors reporting "cannot save due to faulty disc" or whatever.

12 A recent fault. The pointer completely disappears and I cannot navigate properly on the screen. About 6 times. If I move the mouse in the down direction I can see Dock items reacting, but the iMac becomes useless. I discovered that I if manage to put the invisible pointer on the desktop and click (but if I failed, that of course might cause something unwanted to happen if it is in reality sitting on something live), the pointer returns (until the next time).

As I said, many of these have been aired on this forum but no solutions have emerged. Perhaps I am the only one to have these problems. They are so numerous and annoying (although not totally fatal such as causing the machine to die) that I will soon be taking the iMac to an Apple Centre and getting them to either fix it or give me a new one under the guarantee.

I have to say that all this has ruined my high regard for Apple, held over the past 17 years. If I end up with no solution at all, I will have to switch to a Windows machine. I certainly cannot go on like this. I have work to do.

Any suggestions welcome, as always.

Mar 14, 2012 11:02 AM in response to SteveKir

That's a lot more than I have time to deal with, so let's just take #1. Is the Mail application crashing, or is just not retrieving mail? If it's crashing, please post a crash log. Otherwise, select Window Connection Doctor from the Mail menu bar. You should see a green dot next to each of the mail servers you've defined. Is that what you see? If not, click the Show Details button. A drawer opens at the bottom of the window. If there's text in that drawer, please post it. If not, click Check Again and post the text that appears. Edit out any personal information before posting.

Mar 14, 2012 12:23 PM in response to BobHarris

BobHarris wrote:

Magic Mouse connection lost several times per week (or a day). No workaround.

The Magic Mouse has known problems with the batteries maintaining solid contact with the electical connections. The batteries shift and loose contact and your mouse drops offline. Search for "Magic Mouse and Batteries" and you should find out more.

I am using apple rechargeable batteries and the Apple recharger. The contacts with the batteries looks very reliable.

CCC External Firewire 800 drive unmounts every 10 days.

What is CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner?) or the name of an external hard drive vendor? Generally speaking external devices disconnect because the device has decided to disconnect, not because the operating system told it to.

CCC is Carbon Copy cloner. It has been reliable for very many years, and the drive is the same as used on my G5 (and the drive is only 2 years old). It had never given trouble until Lion and the iMac.

Other than that, I would suggest you follow Linc's advice, plus I would add, 1 problem per post, otherwise you will get people "Cherry Picking" the problems they like, and your thread will degerate into chasing one issue and all the others will be ignored. Might as well just use one thread per problem so it does not diverge.

Well, this is the last (of many) posts on my problems (please see my reply to Linc). Either Apple fixes it or I go to Windows.

Mar 14, 2012 12:37 PM in response to SteveKir

Well, this is the last (of many) posts on my problems (please see my reply to Linc). Either Apple fixes it or I go to Windows.

We are just fellow Mac users. We are powerless to control Apple's directions. Most of the people that try to answer questions here are just trying to help.

A lot of people reading this form use Windows, and if Windows helps you with your job, then it is the right thing to do.

Mar 14, 2012 2:10 PM in response to Linc Davis

Connection Doctor said all mailboxes were OK (at the moment).

The Mail problem is intermittent and I will need to wait for another appearance of the fault to describe in detail. As far as I can remember, I just quit Mail and re-launched. The mailbox connections were then OK. On several occasions I was using my Internet connection which was working OK so I do not think it was responsible for the Mail failure. In any case, (another Mail fault) all mailboxes sometimes show a tilde which I believe results from going off line, so if the failure that results in the triangles appearing, it looks like going off line is not the problem. I can't remember whether it actually crashed (ie., produced rubbish on the screen etc.) It did not quit. As the mailboxes were not connecting to the Internet I did not see any point in trying to open a mailbox.

BTW, another fault on my iMac has just made an apprearance today, twice - as I just touch the Magic mouse (no pressing) the screen zooms and I have to reset it. I cannot guess where this is coming from - I don't think that the Magic Mouse can zoom.

Mar 14, 2012 2:34 PM in response to SteveKir

Sticking to issue #1, if I understand correctly, Mail is working at the moment.

It seems that you have an intermittent network problem. Either the servers become unreachable, or they stop responding properly to requests. If you connect to more than one server on different networks, then the latter is ruled out. So the next time you lose connectivity in Mail, see whether your other Internet applications, such as web browsers, also lose it. If they do, then you'll know the problem has nothing at all to do with Mail.

Mar 16, 2012 9:36 AM in response to SteveKir

it has created additional problems for me

i am getting continuous grief from all my mice (a wired usb, magic mouse and microsoft wireless mouse )

constant problems like cursor disappearing and then reappearing

it will hide under certain applications like firefox (meaning when i move the cursor around it will affect things on the app but the cursor remain invisible)

what is really driving me nuts is that it will speed up and take off like a jet for no reason

there IS something wrong with lion 10.7.3

Mar 16, 2012 12:22 PM in response to Linc Davis

I don't think that the Internet connection cannot be the cause because it continues to work smoothly before, during and after the Mail fault. I never get short dropouts when otherwise using the Internet.

I have contacted the Touchwood (Sollihul) Apple Centre and will make an appointment to take the iMac and its mouse in to be tested. They said that they would run various tests and it might be necessary to keep if for a few days. I will make a couple of bootable clones of the whole system which would make it easier for them to strip the OS and clean it all out.

I will report back in due course. Thanks for the help.

Mar 16, 2012 8:24 PM in response to SteveKir

I recently have had several of the symptoms you listed. I went through many troubleshooting sessions with Apple Care. What fixed my problem was...login items. I had 5 login items in my User preferences. I hit the minus sign on all of them, rebooted and all my symptoms disappeared!

I put them back one at a time until I found the culprit. In my case it was Magic Prefs for my magic mouse. I trashed that app and haven't had any problems since.

I am using Lion 10.7.3 on a MacPro

Hope this helps.

Has 10.7.3 solved various problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.