Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superduper or Fresh Install?

Superduper or Fresh Install? I am upgrading from 160gb 5400 to 750gb 7200 drive on mid 2009 MBP. I intend to put the new drive inside and put the current internal drive in an enclosure to use as an external drive. My goal is also to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion. I am down to 5gb of current free HD space.

I've read about some firmware issues with the 7200 drives that Apple has fixed, but if I do a fresh install of Snow Leopard pre-firmware fix, won't I still incur the same problems? Also, is it possible to do a fresh install of Lion or is it recommended to upgrade?

I thought I'd clone to Superduper on the new drive as an external drive. Boot successfully and then swap drives so the new drive is internal and the old drive is external. I'd eventually wipe the old drive and use it as a portable drive.

Thanks in advance.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 9:21 AM

gulfsidebo wrote:

I thought I'd clone to Superduper on the new drive as an external drive. Boot successfully and then swap drives so the new drive is internal and the old drive is external. I'd eventually wipe the old drive and use it as a portable drive.

As long as your system is running fine, there is no reason to "Fresh" install Lion. Do as you've outlined, & you'll be fine.

You are aware that NONE of your PPC apps will work under Lion, if you have such, correct?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2012 9:21 AM in response to gulfsidebo

gulfsidebo wrote:

As long as your system is running fine, there is no reason to "Fresh" install Lion. Do as you've outlined, & you'll be fine.

You are aware that NONE of your PPC apps will work under Lion, if you have such, correct?

Superduper or Fresh Install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.