Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best method for conversion avi to .mov ?

Hi all

I have loads of avi video files shot on a flip video camera. 640x480

I'm trying to edit them in Final Cut Pro (version 6.0.6)

I'm really struggling to find the correct export settings, software, codecs and format.

Using MPEG streamclip and exporting as quicktime movie files.

Codec = dv pal - But they have no sound.

Using Quicktime (7.6.9)

exporting as DV PAL - the files are massive

Also, with both versions, when I import them into FCP, it states 'the following media files are not optimized for FCP"

Could anyone recommend the best software, and codec to use. The final video will be shown at a sales conference probably in a powerpoint presentation.

I'm looking for urgent help having wasted several hours on trial and error and searching the forums.

I need the job done by tonight.

Please help.

G5 2.5 GHZ, Mac OS X (10.5.8), FCP. 6.0.6 / Mpeg streamclip 1.9

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 9:36 AM

21 replies

Mar 14, 2012 9:48 AM in response to siggers

Well, I too was handed a bunch of AVI files from a producer's flip camera and asked to quickly cut a "sizzle" with them. After all sorts of messing about with Compressor, and MPEG STREAMCLIP, I never got things just right. Gotta be some bad voodoo with the flip AVI. ANYWAY, out of frustration I gave up the ghost with FCP and opened Premiere Pro 5.5 and used the files in that...natively. Not the smoothest, but it worked very well.

Not that you can drop everything and get this new app...and the machine that will run it (you are on a G5 I see). I just wanted to point out one option.

Issue I see with this is that 640x480 is 4:3, and PAL is 16:9....720x576. Is the footage PAL .avi files?

ANYWAY...if you have the PAL footage, even though it says NOT OPTIMIZED, it does work, right? I'd go with that. Yeah, the files are bigger, they aren't highly compressed files that aren't meant to be edited...they are now in an editing codec. DV is about 13GB per hour.

Mar 14, 2012 11:50 AM in response to Shane Ross

thanks Shane, it does seem to work but I was wary of it crashing down the line, and wasting more precious time.

Why the warning if it works?

FYI - about the avi files

Format Xvid (Perian), 640x480, millions

Microsoft ADPCM,Mono 44.100 khz

FPS 30

I export as dvpal through quicktime, but alas this means I can't batch export. A long night ahead.

the lesson here seems to be avoid flip camera. shame becasue they are very simple to use for point and record videos

Mar 14, 2012 1:36 PM in response to siggers

>Imported the result into FCP and although I have to render it plays fine.

See...you have to render. You shouldn't be doing that. If you convert the file right, it is in a format that doesn't require rendering...so you don't have to drop the clip into the timeline and render before you can work. That's a no no.

When you rendered it, you rendered it to match the sequence settings. Then exported it in those settings. Those settings are in a format that FCP works with...so when you reimported, you imported a file in that codec that FCP uses. But that is a LOT of steps...

Mar 14, 2012 1:54 PM in response to siggers

Trying to edit H.264 native in FCP will lead to lots of problems. Sluggishness and the final export either cutting off the end, going to black, or exporting footage not in your cut. It isn't supported in FCP. Even if the camera files originate that way, say from a DSLR. Always need to convert to FCP codec...typically ProRes.

Want to edit H.264? Get Adobe Premiere Pro. But if you do that, might as well edit the .avi files native.

Mar 14, 2012 2:03 PM in response to Shane Ross

I've just tried exporting the avi as a quicktime movie (DVPAL compression). The file is bigger as expected, but when I drag this clip onto the timeline (and change the sequence settings to match the clip) I still have to render.

Is it the aspect ratio or the editing timebase?

I am tearing my hair out now.

Please advise on the best way ahead before I lose it completely....

The sequence settings readUser uploaded file

Mar 14, 2012 2:14 PM in response to siggers

The settings are wrong. DV is not 640x480. DV/NTSC is 720x480. DV/PAL is 720x576.

Unless I have the files in front of me, I can't offer settings suggestions. That's a trial/error thing that needs to be finessed.

Adobe CS 5.5 has a free fully-functional demo. It is VERY FCP like...so you should download the demo:

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/sem/products/creativesuite/production.html

Then watch a couple tutorials on the GOTCHA's of transitioning...

http://www.biscardicreative.com/blog/2011/09/transitioning-fcp-to-premiere-pro-g otchas-part-1/

http://www.biscardicreative.com/blog/2011/09/transitioning-big-premiere-pro-inte rlace-gotcha-on-export/

And use the footage natively in Premiere without needing to convert anything. FCP is not the app for the footage you have been provided...Premiere is.

best method for conversion avi to .mov ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.