Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reading ipad in the sun

Now that the weather has turned took my ipad out on the deck to read and found that I couldn't see it well. Works pretty much like a mirror, about all I could see was my own reflection.

I hope there are solutions for this,, anyone??

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 1:16 PM

47 replies

Mar 21, 2012 11:23 AM in response to Pepsy61

👿 That is a lie of the devil!!!!!!! 👿

And to be sure I just went outside to try it*. There is absolutely no difference in the display in the sun, whether in portrait or landscape position.

You are a troll with a brand new account and this is your first and only post.

*It is a bright sunny midday in Monterrey, Mexico at this moment. 23°C.

Mar 21, 2012 11:25 AM in response to Dah•veed

There might be if the reader was wearing polarized sunglasses when reading?? Since the LCD display has a polarizing filter over it as well (as far as I know, all backlit LCDs use polarizers), maybe the got the two polarizing lens (sunglasses and display) in just the proper juxtiposition?

I don't have polarized sunglasses with me to test this theory, but according to all the politicians I hear the only distinction of a good theory is that it must sound good.

Mar 21, 2012 11:38 AM in response to Michael Black

I live on the beach in sunny Florida and went out on my balcony yesterday with my new iPad. I was not in direct sunlight and did not have sunglasses on. Reading was very difficult.........only worked with the screen brightness all the way up and there was still glare. It did work nicely as a mirror, though 🙂.

I have two different NOOKS for the very same reason: the NST is an e-ink reader and works perfectly in both indirect and direct sunlight. I have no problem with it sitting out on the beach. The NOOK Color is not e-ink and I find the similar problem trying to read with it outdoors. I did purchase an anti-glare screen for it and that helps. However, I really am reluctant to use one on my new iPad because the display is so awesome! I will stick with my NOOK outdoors and my iPad indoors. I have a feeling that with polarized sunglasses on, I would be able to see about as much as I can see on my phone..........nothing! However, I can wear those with the e-ink NOOK Simple Touch and read just fine.

Apr 8, 2012 7:29 PM in response to yellow21

Well, I don't know about those of you who state that it's readable with polarizing sunglasses on. I always use polarizing glasses and regardless, I'm still not able to read easily. Better than with no sunglasses but not really good.

The best thing I came up with was changing the screen so that the background is black and the print then, of course, white. I usually use a small print but with the black and white I found a bit larger font works better for me.

In reply to the " just don't use it in the sun", I just have to comment that many of us like to sit in the sun and also read at the same time. Being able to use the ipad for that purpose would be great

May 27, 2012 9:20 AM in response to Pepsy61

Just wanted to validate this post:). I am in direct sunlight and was having trouble seeing screen so checked for a solution and found this thread. Went from black (with glasses on) to being able to see it perfectly when turned landscape. I am on ipad2... Just wanted to agree with the poster since others said it didn't work. Thanks for the info! -

reading ipad in the sun

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.