Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virtual Memory SWAP is filling up HD: "Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory"

I'm getting messages stating "Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory." I've determined that my system memory is rapidly reducing after the MacBook Air is left on with only the Activity Monitor and Terminal open.

MacBook Air Stats:

11-Inch, Mid 2011

Processor: 1.8 Ghz Intel Core i7

Memory: 4GB 1333 Mhz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

My SSD drive space is rapidly reduced after the "free memory" is almost completed used - the MacBook then starts using the SSD drive as virtual memory and almost uses that space (I have a 250GB drive with 60GB available when I start the mac). Everything works great for the first 5-10 minutes, then I see the "free memory" decrese until it's down to about 30MB or so and then the SWAP used increases until my hard drive is almost totally out of space and gives me the error above. During this time the MacBook Airs little fan turns on.

Result: I can only use my Mac for about 30 minutes or so until I have to restart due to the HD being filled up by the virtual memory SWAP. The Mac is also very slow during this time as you can imagine.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Scott

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 2:03 PM

That can happen for two reasons:

(1) You have a long-running process with a memory leak (i.e., a bug), or

(2) You don't have enough memory installed for your usage pattern.

Tracking down a memory leak can be difficult, and it may come down to a process of elimination. In Activity Monitor, click the heading of the Real Mem column in the process table once or twice to sort the table with the highest value at the top. Repeat with the Virtual Mem column. If one process (not including "kernel_task") is using much more memory than all the others, that could be an indication of a leak. A better indication would be a process that continually grabs more and more memory over time without ever releasing it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2012 2:03 PM in response to scottfrombellevue

That can happen for two reasons:

(1) You have a long-running process with a memory leak (i.e., a bug), or

(2) You don't have enough memory installed for your usage pattern.

Tracking down a memory leak can be difficult, and it may come down to a process of elimination. In Activity Monitor, click the heading of the Real Mem column in the process table once or twice to sort the table with the highest value at the top. Repeat with the Virtual Mem column. If one process (not including "kernel_task") is using much more memory than all the others, that could be an indication of a leak. A better indication would be a process that continually grabs more and more memory over time without ever releasing it.

Virtual Memory SWAP is filling up HD: "Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.