Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN overrides default route

I noticed my VPN connections overrides the default route set by my WiFi connection. With an active VPN I can browse my office network but not the WWW.

When I type in terminal …

sudo route delete default

sudo route add -net default 192.168.2.1

sudo route add -net 192.168.178.0 192.168.178.201

… I can access (via VPN) my office network and can still browse in the WWW.

Is there any way I can prevent to override the default route when establishing a VPN connection (IPSec Cisco via Network > Add VPN)?

Maybe I can create an AppleScript or something like that?

192.168.2.1 = local network (home)

192.168.178.1 = remote network (office)

192.168.178.201 = remote virtual client IP

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 27", i7, 256 SSD, 8GB, 1GB graphic

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 1:33 PM

16 replies

Apr 9, 2012 2:06 PM in response to suntrop

suntrop wrote:

Google has more to offer than Apples discussion boards ;-)

http://phaq.phunsites.net/2011/12/29/vpninit-applescript-override-and-restore-de fault-vpn-routes-on-os-x/

Why would you even come here asking for help with a Friztbox anyway? You should have contact the maker of the router or your network admins for info on how to enable split tunneling.

Apr 10, 2012 10:33 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Why would you even come here asking for help with a Friztbox anyway? You should have contact the maker of the router or your network admins for info on how to enable split tunneling.

I wasn't asking for help about my Fritzbox. I didn't know where to start and thought Apple's forums maybe a good starting point. You told me "Nothing you can do about it.". I found a solution I can do it without touching the Fritzbox config. I tought a forum is to help others not to tell them "there's no way" or go and ask the maker.

Anyway, next time I will not consider to ask here. Sorry for bothering you.

May 21, 2013 2:05 PM in response to suntrop

@suntrop - this was very helpful. Was having the same problem with my University's VPN, and I agree completely, it's not a problem with the VPN hardware/software, it's a routing issue on the OS X side. No reason we should be locked to having all traffic run through the VPN.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful post and links!

VPN overrides default route

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.