Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change BIOS settings on iMac12,2? Running OSX 10.7.3

Working with a fairly new iMac. I discovered that the USB port communicates between 10 and 14Mb / Sec with a USB 3.0 HD. I understand that speed settings might be found in the BIOS. True? If so how do I access the BIOS settings? The model is:

27" iMac12,2, build Mid 2011.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 27" iMac 12,2

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 5:47 PM

6 replies

Mar 14, 2012 6:04 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

I started to backup the 1Tb iMac drive using SuperDuper to an external Toshiba Canvio USB 3.0 drive and found it extremely slow. I aborted and began backing up my MacBook Pro's 500Gb drive and found speed to the drive was between 10Mb and 14Mb / sec. I have Firewire drives at home but only have this one drive to work with. My biggest interest is to get these platforms backed up before heading home. If no BIOS settings, what limits the USB communication speed?

Mar 14, 2012 6:09 PM in response to Michael Janisse

I use SuperDuper! myself - in addition to Time Machine. The initial backup of SD (or Time Machine) takes quite awhile. Subsequent incremental update are much faster. IMHO, the USB port is not limiting anything. The backup software is the "bottleneck."

I have not done an initial SD backup for a long time, so I cannot indicate what "normal" would be.

Barry

Mar 14, 2012 6:16 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

I use Time Machine on my MacBook pro while at home to a 2Tb My Book drive with Firewire connection. I've done several complete backups and a weekly supplimental backup but I never see the slow transfer speeds I'm seeing with USB. I run Boot Camp with Windows 7 and use Acronis to back that up to another Tb MyBook drive.

Trying to set the iMac up as a dual boot system (10.6.8 and 10.7.3) for application testing for my customers. The MacOS installer CD is 10.6.3. I need a minimum of 10.6.4 to boot from CD. I was trying to find a more creative way to get 10.6.8 in a separate partition.

How do I change BIOS settings on iMac12,2? Running OSX 10.7.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.