Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Network Scanner does not work in 10.6 Snow Leopard

The software for scanning built into the Mac has stopped working. The all-in-one HP2575 ethernet network printer prints just fine. When I go to scan, it warms up and gives me a preview image. But when I actually go to scan, and it does not matter what output (jpg, pdf, etc.), it goes into a repeating loop of scanning, then appearing to save, not saving, scanning again....

I have done the usual. I have repaired my permissions. I have booted through AppleJack and cleaned everything up.

When I go to my 'other' user, it works just fine. Therefore, it must be something (Preferences?) in this user.

What do I delete?

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), G5 1.8 GHz and iBook 10.4 - both 10.4.11

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 8:36 PM

When I go to my 'other' user, it works just fine. Therefore, it must be something (Preferences?) in this user.

Yes. Most likely a Preferences file is corrupt in your account. You could guess which one or ones they might be but an easy way to determine likely candidates is to create another, temporary user with administrator privileges. Assuming that user is also able to use the scanner, find out what preference files are created or modified while scanning. There will probably not more than one or a few such files and their names will probably give you a hint - look for HP in the names.

Record what files they are. You can either copy them to your account (via the Shared folder) or simply delete them from yours.

Delete the temporary account when you are finished with it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2012 8:36 PM in response to The Hammer610

Yes. Most likely a Preferences file is corrupt in your account. You could guess which one or ones they might be but an easy way to determine likely candidates is to create another, temporary user with administrator privileges. Assuming that user is also able to use the scanner, find out what preference files are created or modified while scanning. There will probably not more than one or a few such files and their names will probably give you a hint - look for HP in the names.

Record what files they are. You can either copy them to your account (via the Shared folder) or simply delete them from yours.

Delete the temporary account when you are finished with it.

Mar 15, 2012 10:56 AM in response to John Galt

That is a good idea, but I sure was hoping for a file name or something easier.

So what I did was I went to that other user that worked yesterday as I had scanned on that one for the first time. I went to user/Library/Preferences, then sorted by date modified or date created.

There were the usual non-suspects like Safari, Apple store, appstore, storeagent.

But there was also systempreferences (a not likely), PrinterProxy, PreferenceSync (also not likely) and hp.scanModule (bingo!).

So I went back to my user and threw hp.scanModule in the trash, started up the Printer Pref pane (pain?), when to printer / scanner, and guess what?

Still doing the same darn thing. It scanned once, produced no file, scanned a second time, then froze.

No luck.

Oddly, running the Mac scanning software did not produce a new hp.scanModule file.

So I went back into TimeMachine and restored, from something like 8 months ago, the hp.scanModule and, just because I could, HP ScanJet Destinations and HP Scan Pro Preferences.

Now it works. I created jpg and PDF files from scans.

I feel a qualified victory. But what bothers me is that a new hp.scanModule file was not created when I trashed the original. Yet, on the other user, where I scanned for the first time yesterday, that file was created. It makes me wonder if something else, whatever creates or updates the hp.scanModule file has a problem.

But for now, I have success.

Mar 15, 2012 11:44 AM in response to John Galt

That is what has me confused with this new 'system' starting with OS 10.6. Prior to this, I used HP scanner software. Starting with 10.6, the HP Scan software stopped working and both Apple and HP said that the Mac provides the scanning software.

So who owns this software and potential problem now, Apple or HP? Aren't I using the generic Mac scanning software?

Anyway, not crucial. Sort of a rant.

Mar 15, 2012 2:00 PM in response to The Hammer610

As I understand it, HP is responsible for providing the drivers to Apple, and Apple now distributes everything directly through software updates.

When it works, it's great.

In the past you had to rely upon third party software interfaces for scanning and similar utilities. They tended to be inconsistent and would occasionally conflict with OS X since they would try to bypass the system's intended communications methods. Sometimes this required irritating workarounds for the user. With Lion, no matter what manufacturer's device you're using, there is a consistent user interface for scanning, printing, and faxing - everything is accomplished through Preview or a standard Print dialog box.

The problem is that HP's Mac software has always been subpar to its Windows equivalents, to the point I abandoned them some time ago in favor of manufacturers who are more motivated. HP ostensibly supports OS X and continues to release new drivers for it, but OS X support has been an afterthought. HP has had ten years to adapt to what has become the future of computing, and I've given up on them.

From a corporate perspective I don't know where HPQ intends to go. They've been sending a lot of mixed messages about that lately, but the most consistent one is a continued desire to sell overpriced ink. This ought to seem eerily reminiscent of Kodak's business plan fifteen or so years ago.

For new purchases I have been recommending Brother with Canon and Epson tied for second place. Brother's equipment integrates particularly well with OS X. They have excellent support and the longest warranty. Just avoid HP.

Mar 17, 2012 11:47 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the response and information. It is very informative. I assume your comments also apply to 10.6. I need to stick with OS 10.6 since 10.7 does not support PowerPC applications.

I like HP printers because I get a new print head with the cartridge. My previous printer was an Epson and the print head plugged up making the printer useless. However, HP is not getting rich from me. I picked up the printer used from a charity sale, fixed the slippery paper reels with some sandpaper and purchase refilled cartridges. It works out to be a pretty sweet deal.

I thought all manufacturers cartridges are overpriced. Give away the printer, make money on the consumables.

I have been impressed with the reviews on Brother printers, especially the color laser printers.

I guess I need to write a letter to Meg Whitman? :-)

HP Network Scanner does not work in 10.6 Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.