Skip navigation

Time machine Error ( Hung on Preparing)

387 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2012 6:45 PM by Pondini RSS
tonal Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 14, 2012 9:52 PM

MBP on Lion receiving TIme Machine error as determined by reading the console log:  MTM fs Mount server failed to start because of error -1.. Spent hours investigating.. I restarted Time Capsule.no change.. My wife's MBP which shares the time capsule does not back up due to 0 MB space...does not delete the older backups for some reason. 

Read multiple Pondini suggestions...This seemed  to start after Time Capsule firmware was updated... my last successful bakup was Mar 5 which seems to be close to when the firmware was updated..

Is my only choice is to erase all data on the Time Capsule and start backups over with both MBPs??

Thanks for any suggestions..

Tony Liguori

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,710 points)
    Mar 15, 2012 5:56 PM (in response to tonal)

tonal wrote:

MBP on Lion receiving TIme Machine error as determined by reading the console log:  MTM fs Mount server failed to start because of error -1.

That message concerns Local Snapshots, not regular Time Machine backups.

My wife's MBP which shares the time capsule does not back up due to 0 MB space...does not delete the older backups for some reason. 

Most likely, Time Machine has already deleted all but the last backup of that Mac, but still doesn't have room for a new one  (it won't delete backups from a different Mac).

Is my only choice is to erase all data on the Time Capsule and start backups over with both MBPs??

That may end up being the easiest, especially if one Mac's backups have "hogged" the TC's space, and/or it just isn't large enough.

How much data is on each Mac?

How large is your TC?

Is anything besides the backups of these 2 Macs on your TC?  If so, how much?

What message are you getting from your backups?  See #C2 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.   It will show you how to locate the message(s) that describe the problem, then help you fix it.    If that doesn't help, post back with details, including all the messages, what you've done, and the results.

• Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,710 points)
    Mar 15, 2012 6:45 PM (in response to tonal)

tonal wrote:

. . .

I had read in a forum that the latest firmware of TC was causing problems and the upgrade seemed to coincide with my TM issue.

For a few folks, yes.  Seems nearly random who's affected vs. who isn't. 

I have a 500gb Time Capsule...one Mac is 181gb the other 90gb

Ah, should be plenty of space!

Very strange.  Glad it's sorted out, though, and thanks for the feedback.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.