Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do we have to fully charge an iPad for the first time before we use it?

I was wanting to buy an iPad and if I did would i have to charge it fully the first time? If yes can i use it while charging? What would happen if I dont?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 1:28 AM

Just charge it to 100% and start using it.

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

5 replies

Mar 15, 2012 1:34 AM in response to musti97

musti97 wrote:

I was wanting to buy an iPad and if I did would i have to charge it fully the first time? If yes can i use it while charging? What would happen if I dont?

It depends upon the state of the charge when you get it. iPads usually sell so quickly that they haven't had time to discharge too much since leaving the factory. The iPad has a charge indicator that will let you know the state of the charge.

Yes you can use the iPad while it is being charged.

Further info can be found here:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Mar 15, 2012 1:37 AM in response to Diavonex

On other threads there are "newer" ideas about the Full Cycle:

Thread:

Apple Complimentary Support told me that the original capacity of my battery is at 5570 mAh, and not 5770 mAh as Coconut Battery presents. Did you know of this discrepancy already?

wjosten

This solved my questionRe: MBP 13'' Battery health 94% at 4 Cycles, how to revert?

Feb 27, 2012 1:27 PM (in response to delgamanel)

Every two - three months or so, I unplug & let the battery drain to 35% ~ 40% of capacity, then charge to full. My computer stays plugged in most of the time. I'm not trying to tell you to never let your battery drain to 5% or so, just trying to tell you not to do this often, if possible. The battery in your computer has a design life of 3 ~ 5 years, depending on use. For most users, they'll be replacing their computers before the battery takes a hike. The purpose of my post was to give you information about lithium batteries. Now you know the deal & can adjust your use accordingly.

LexSchellings

This helped meRe: MBP 13'' Battery health 94% at 4 Cycles, how to revert?

Feb 27, 2012 1:45 PM (in response to delgamanel)

Apple gave you the "Design Capacity", this fluctuates in real life: the real capacity can be higher, mine was at 6800 with 6500 design capacity. It is irrelevant, as long as the battery is "alive'.

wjosten's treatment prescription is correct.

Apple describes the "expected" use as a person takes his laptop with him on the train to his work and uses it on the train without charger; at work he puts the charger on and in the eveing he uses it on the train and at home puts the charger on: they say that keeps the electrons flowing.

Do we have to fully charge an iPad for the first time before we use it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.