Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Usb drive with fat32 file system not preserving file permissions

When ever I copy some files or create a file in my external USB drive which is a FAT32 one. file permissions are not preserved. All files/folders has 777 are permission. Is this how it work in mac or am I missing something?

MacBookPro5,3, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 1:25 AM

5 replies

Mar 15, 2012 3:43 AM in response to Jithin

Jithin wrote:

When ever I copy some files or create a file in my external USB drive which is a FAT32 one. file permissions are not preserved.

From <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3764>:

"The MS-DOS (FAT32) file system format does not support permissions, file owners, and groups. Such permissions are synthesized on Mac OS X with some default permissions. Because of this all files will have the same permissions […]"

So it's not "how it work in mac", but it's a limitation of the FAT32 file system.

Mar 15, 2012 5:12 AM in response to Jithin

Jithin wrote:

If I use exFat does this handle permissions properly? Can you point me to any documentions regarding this?

Sorry, I don't know. There's nothing in the Apple support KB that I can find. ExFAT supports ACLs, but whether this is implemented or not, I've no idea. My expectation is that the answer is no. They were not implemented in Vista, so I should be very surprised if they are implemented either in SL or Lion.

Usb drive with fat32 file system not preserving file permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.