Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i setup a gateway on a mac mini using a virtual port

I would like to setup a gateway on a mac mini. The requirement for many gateways is to have two network ports. However a mac mini has one physical network port. How can i setup a virtual network port to work setup the gateway server?

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 6:16 AM

Virtual ports are just that; virtual. You'll need a physical network port, unless you're setting your gateway box up to operate on just one network. That means a Thunderbolt or USB network adapter would be required,

I'd recommend using a spare x86-class box with two physical network controllers, and some open source, as your gateway. There are some good low-power options here, but pretty much any spare x86 box with an integrated network and an expansion slot, or two slots would work. This for various reasons.

Search around the forums for some of the previous discussions of using an OS X box as a gateway, too.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2012 6:16 AM in response to akosh.kobash

Virtual ports are just that; virtual. You'll need a physical network port, unless you're setting your gateway box up to operate on just one network. That means a Thunderbolt or USB network adapter would be required,

I'd recommend using a spare x86-class box with two physical network controllers, and some open source, as your gateway. There are some good low-power options here, but pretty much any spare x86 box with an integrated network and an expansion slot, or two slots would work. This for various reasons.

Search around the forums for some of the previous discussions of using an OS X box as a gateway, too.

How do i setup a gateway on a mac mini using a virtual port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.