Skip navigation

iCloud Backup and Camera Roll

2335 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 7:58 AM by seth making apps RSS
MikeMcCollister Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 15, 2012 5:55 AM

I noticed that my camera roll backup size in iCloud is 1.1 GB. I did not want to take up all of that space so I copied 0.9 GB of videos from my iPhone to my computer and deleted them off of my iPhone. However, after an iCloud backup, it still shows that the camera roll is taking up 1.1 GB. What's going on? Shouldn't the camera roll backup become 0.2 GB now?

Thanks,

Mike

iPhone 4S, iOS 5
  • pvonk Level 6 Level 6 (13,670 points)
    Mar 15, 2012 6:41 AM (in response to MikeMcCollister)

iCloud maintains multiple backups.

Mar 15, 2012 7:01 AM (in response to MikeMcCollister)

When you restore from iCloud, you can have a choice of which backup to use, so there's some kind of history involved, but I don't know how long it is kept.

Mar 15, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to MikeMcCollister)

Something else I didn't mention - if you want to delete the backups on iCloud (and start fresh), go to settings>icloud>storage and backup>manage storage.  Click on the device at issue and there, at the bottom of the window, you can delete your backups.

• skyav Calculating status...
    Nov 6, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to MikeMcCollister)

I'm also seeing a mismatch between reported size of the camera roll and its actual size (I'm using an iPhone 4S with iOS 6.0.1).  I understand that the older content may well be sitting around in older backup files in Apple's data center, but what I'm seeing reported should just be what's needed for my next backup, no?

Seems like Apple could be in legal hot water if this is causes people to pay for extra iCloud storage they don't really need.

Anyway, please do mention if and when you do see the expected downward revision of backup size.

• seth making apps Calculating status...
    Dec 6, 2012 7:58 AM (in response to skyav)

I've been tracking this on my devices (2 iPhone 5's) and there is definitely a problem with the backup size that is required for backing up.  My backup size is 1.2GB, I do not back up photos/videos at all, and the largest app size is 25MB, then 7.6...  My wife has 3.3 GB being used and her photo backups are off as well! Apple better get an update out soon.  Getting these notifications of using up all my storage space and actually using it is quite annoying.  I should say that prior to these new phones and IOS6, this was working as expected.  I could have 4 devices backed up and still have ample storage with only using the 5GB free plan.  Apple, explain!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.