Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any official information that iPad 3 does not support European LTE frequencies?

Can anyone from Apple reply to this question? There is a lot of rumours and criticism that iPad 3 is not compatible with LTE in Europe. If it is true, this is a real shame on Apple for producing inferior product for non-American markets. Definitely I will not be interested in buying iPad3 until Apple put the things right and make available iPad 3 with LTE working in Europe.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 7:08 AM

11 replies

Mar 15, 2012 8:03 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

If the US specification does not show something, it does not mean that it will not be available in other markets. If Apple consciously decided to produce a handicapped version of iPad 3 for non-American markets, then thanks a lot but I will not buy it. It will also influence on my attitude to Apple products in future (so far I've bought 4 iPhones and 1 iPad2). Luckily the competition is not doing things like this and does not treat Europe as unimportant market.

Mar 15, 2012 9:36 AM in response to Golfer_1

If the US specification does not show something, it does not mean that it will not be available in other markets.

Yes, we know. Look up the specs for the iPad in the country in which you intend to purchase.

I don't understand your point. The specifications for the iPad in every country for which it has been officially announced are easily and clearly available. There is no mystery, no guesswork, no rumor nor speculation. Apple tells you exactly what the iPad supports in that country. If that doesn't meet your needs, don't buy it.

Continuing in this manner will just lead people to label you a troll, so please either ask a new question, one which we your fellow users might have the possibility of answering, or move on.

Mar 15, 2012 9:56 AM in response to Golfer_1

The new iPad supports the 700Mhz and 2.1Ghz LTE bands - you can easily check that on any apple online store

eg. store.apple.com/fr or de or uk or whatever country code you would need to use.

The question for anyone then is not what the new iPad does, but is there a network service provider in your country who provides LTE data services on either of those two spectrum channels. If they do, your set, if they do not, you get no LTE (but still have 3G). Contrary to rumors, there are other countries with companies building out their LTE networks using one or both of these frequency bands. While it seems most European companies are using other alternative frequencies, I don't know exactly which companies in which countries may be using them.

So don't bother checking the iPad specs, check what the carriers you would use offer.

Mar 15, 2012 10:21 AM in response to Golfer_1

Golfer_1 wrote:

Yeah, another arrogant response. Just typical.

I should say so! Of course, nothing arrogant about you, is there, with your huffing and puffing about Apple this and Apple that and what you will and will not buy and so forth and so on.

As though anyone here could possibly care less.

If information I need was available in Europe I would not bother this community.

It is, and yet you are.

..... I would welcome answers from Europeans and I request Americans not to admonish me.

Perhaps you'd have better luck on a Euro-only support board, where others of your own tribe could also make fun of you? It does seem unfair to restrict that enjoyment to Americans only.

Mar 16, 2012 2:29 PM in response to Golfer_1

The specifications for the new 3rd-gen iPad which was released today are available on Apple's web site, with detailed specifications.

Based on this, LTE support is only offcially supported on AT&T and Verizon in the US, and Bell, Rogers and Telus in Canada. Even http://www.apple.com/fr/ipad/specs/ indicates this:

"La connectivité 4G LTE est uniquement prise en charge sur les réseaux AT&T et Verizon aux États-Unis et sur les réseaux Bell, Rogers et Telus au Canada. Consultez votre opérateur pour en savoir plus."

If you look at the specs on the various country-specific iPad pages, you'll see that Verizon model only appears to be US-only, while the so-called "AT&T version" is what is being offered internationally. That version supports LTE on both 700 and 2100 MHz.

European and Asia/Pacific carriers are using or have announced plans to use other frequency bands, such as 1500, 1800, 2600, and 3500 MHz. Given that, I'd say it's safe to say that LTE for iPad is a US and Canada feature at the moment, at least with the currently available models. 3G data speeds, including enhanced 3G (HSPA+, HSPA-DC, etc.) are available in some areas in Europe, and may provide comparible speeds to what US users will get on LTE.

Summary: It appears that if you buy the current model, it will work on most carriers GSM/UMTS networks around the world, but LTE is a US/Canadian feature at the moment.

Is there any official information that iPad 3 does not support European LTE frequencies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.