Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i find my network key with time capsule

I am attempting to access my wireless network from a laptop. My laptop picks up the wireless signal from my time capsule, however the laptop is asking for a network key? How do I find the network key in the time capsule?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 7:49 AM

11 replies

Mar 15, 2012 11:29 AM in response to carlosesta

We are going to need to know the version of AirPort Utility that you are using currently, to be able to tell you how to locate the "key" for your network.

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click the AirPort Utility menu item located in the upper left corner of the screen and then click About AirPort Utility to identify the version that you are using.

Mar 16, 2012 5:31 AM in response to carlosesta

That would explain why you cannot find the "key", since this was one of a number of functions that was left out on AirPort Utility 6.0.

You will need to download and install the much more functional AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion

Open AirPort Utility 5.6 and click Manual Setup

Go up to the very top of the screen again where the Apple icon is located along with the Help, AirPort Utility, etc menus. Click on the Base Station menu, then click Equivalent Network Password and your "key" will be displayed.

Suggest that you keep both AirPort Utility 5.6 and 6.0 on your Mac.

Aug 25, 2012 7:42 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob...I have a new printer at home for personal use on my mac laptop (v10.7.4 software). It's a Brother MFC9325cw printer. During the wireless setup it is asking me for the Network Key. I have the Apple Time Capsule with software v6.1. I tried using the same instructions you posted above but I do not have an 'Equivalent Network Password" in the drop down to get to the Network Key. My options are Show Passwords, Restart or Restore under the Base Station menu. I cannot setup my wireless printer without this. Any advice is appreciated? Thanks!

Mar 24, 2013 3:17 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob. I am trying to find my Time Capsule's network key. I tried following your advice to download Airport Utility 5.6 (currently running Airport Utility 6.2).

I went through the download process, and it seemed to work, but I couldn't find the newly installed program. I tried running the install again, and got an error message.

When running my version 6.2, all options are greyed out on the "Base Station" menu.

Any thoughts?

how do i find my network key with time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.