Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't restore & update iPad 2 in iTunes.

I was unable to update my iPad 2 iOS on the device (in the settings menu). So I connected it to my PC running windows 7 and did a sync, backup and update. I left it connected overnight to download iOS 5.1 (I was on 5.0.1) and install the update. When I came back my iPad was in recovery mode. I clicked recover and it prompted a "update and recover" window I agreed with the iOS 5.1 legal agreement and it began the download at a point in the download it popped up a window stating: iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this ipad before in can be used with iTunes. if a click "ok" button before the download is done it keeps downloading. But if I press it while its "processing file" it will cancel if I leave it be it will "processing file" indefinitely. Thanks

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 8:19 AM

1 reply

Mar 16, 2012 7:01 AM in response to jPlunk

After a reboot of your pc,

Firstly, stop it downloading iOS 5.1 if it hasn't already.

Connect the iPad and ask it to recover to a restore point.

when this is done, and it will take a fair while, upto 3-4 hours for a 32 GB version filled to 24GB

Now download BUT don't install iOS 5.1.

When it's downloaded, then install it.

As a matter of course, i would never recommend a daownload and install in one step process.

Can't restore & update iPad 2 in iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.