Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore a time machine sparse bundle to a new drive

My Macbook h/d died and I had to install a new one. Once the new drive was installed I booted up with a Snow Leopard on CD. Out on a network shared drive, my latest backup contained OS X Lion as I upgraded in Dec 2011. I was able to recover the Macbook sparse bundle on the network drive and put it on an external h/d connected to my Macbook. When I click on Time Machine, there are several options; open Time Machine preferences, backup now, enter Time Machine, and find other Time Machine backup drives. I chose the latter and Time Machine finds the external h/d and sparse bundle.

Now my problem is restoring. When I enter Time Machine, the restore function is shadded out and there is no way to do a recovery. I need to do a full recover including OS X Lion, which means I have to go back in time and move forward. I can follow that sequense, but how do I get the restore function to work for me?

MacBook (13-inch Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 1:04 PM

See Pondini's TM FAQs for starters.

6 replies

Mar 15, 2012 1:42 PM in response to d4nelli

I am replying to my own problem because it started to dawn on me before I read baltwo's response why I am having problems restoring from Time Machine. I was working on a problem with Apple's Store support team on another issue that is related to using earlier OS's, and this is the context of that response.

******************************************************************************** ********************************************

I have spent hours reading on forums both internal and external to Apple issues, and have arrived at the conclusion that the difference between Snow Leopard and Lion is my problem for both looking at past purchases and restoring my entire system from a Time Machine backup.

I could get around this problem but there is one issue. When I access the App store from my iMac and see the Lion App I purchased in December, I only have one option and that is the word "Install". I don't want to install Lion on my iMac. My iMac came with Lion. If I could down load the Lion App to my iMac desktop or hard drive, I could transfer it over to my Macbook and install it there. So, the install has to be changed to download, and if it cannot, then I have to purchase Lion again from my Macbook, and pursue a refund though Apple.

Baltwo from San Diego was the final cap on my issue and I sincerely thank you.

Mar 15, 2012 3:47 PM in response to d4nelli

You need to do a full system restore from your backups. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't make it clear that you can't do that from the Time Machine "Star Wars" display.

Normally you should do that from your Recovery HD. But you may be able to start up from your Snow Leopard Install disc, and restore your most recent Lion backup, per Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #14. I did that once, several months ago, and it worked.

However, it's possible that as your HD was failing, it damaged things, perhaps including OSX, and those changes got backed-up. So if after restoring the last backup, your Mac doesn't start or does other odd things, you might try again, selecting an earlier backup.

Once you're up and running, you ought to be able to re-download Lion at no charge (that will re-create your Recovery HD).

Mar 16, 2012 4:13 PM in response to Pondini

I was trying to do a migration but having problems with the migration utility reading the sparse bundle from the RAID drive. I took your approach of booting from the Snow Leapord disk, and running the utilities / restore from backup, but ran into several esoteric UNIX messages from the kernal with the only interpretable message "Mac OS version not yet set", "shut down your computer and restart again", that didn't work after serveral attempts so I resorted back to an early backup I had made on an external USB drive, and went up stairs to pour myself a drink. I had been working on this problem now for 5 hours. When I came down stairs, I was absolutely amazed to be steering at my Macbook with Lion OS loaded and a desktop. I shook my head a couple of times, and then initialized Time Machine and started the process of restoring from the sparse bundle. Everything came back without any further glitches. My Macbook is up and running again.

If it weren't for these forums where somebody had experiences of these sorts, we would all be banging our heads agaisnt the wall. There are answers across the web. They may not be an exact replica, but there will be sufficient information to point you in directions to find answers, and a great group of people to point you there.

Thanks for your time, your advise and pointing me in the right direction............... Cheers!

How to restore a time machine sparse bundle to a new drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.