Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Order Question - Compressor 4 first or DVD Studio Pro 4 first...

Hi all, I have asked this on another forum but realized I probably should have tried here first.

I'm on a fresh install of Lion and am planning to use this to do authoring on. I want to use compressor 4 which I will get from the app store and plan to use DVD Studio Pro 4 from my FCS3 set.

I'm not sure on the install order tho.

If I put my FCS3 disc in, it requires to install compressor to install DVD Studio pro. Should I install from FCS3 first then buy Compressor 4 from the app store, or can I install compressor 4 first and some how bypass FCS3 attempting to install its copy of compressor? I don't really need/want 2 copies of compressor on my system... Any tips on what I can do to install just Compressor 4 and DVD Studio 4 without the Compressor and Qmaster from FCS3 I'd be most appreciative!!

Early '08 Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 3:02 PM

1 reply

Mar 15, 2012 4:22 PM in response to Nethfel

My 2 cents…don't be in a hurry to get rid of Compressor 3.5 – particularly if you're planning to continue working with FCP 7. You can keep both on your system, no problem. (This raises the question of why you need v4, but I asssume you have good reasons.)

I would begin by doing the FCS installation, then doing all the required updates; then I'd download the Compressor app and install. I'm pretty sure that this will automatically create a FCS folder and move all your legacy apps to that folder. The APple best practices doc for a single partition install says next step is to open the legacy version of Motion and then close before doimg anything with the new app (in your case, Compressor4).

Pretty confident that all your FCS apps – including DVSP – should work fine after this.

BUT. Always clone your systems drive so you can revert in case you don't like the results. (Time Machine is not an adequent substitute. I use Carbon Copy Cloner but there are alternatives.)

Russ

Install Order Question - Compressor 4 first or DVD Studio Pro 4 first...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.