11 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 7:14 PM by Suefromlosangeles
Suefromlosangeles Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi there

can anyone help me?  I am having difficulties exporting SOME movies from imovie.. Not ALL of them ... just a couple and i am wondering why?  it is nothing to do with the length of the movie - one is very short and wont export.

i keep getting -50 error code

which means parramErr error in user parameter list

could someone please help me?

Thank you

Sue

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Bengt Wärleby Level 6 Level 6 (19,450 points)

Hi Sue

Error -50

Error -50   paramErr  Error in user parameter list

Can there be any external hard disks - if so How is/are it/they formatted ? Must be Mac OS Extended (hfs) if used for Video.

UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - works for most but not for VIDEO.

What this means in Your situation is above me.

• free space on internal boot hard disk? How much ?

Pictures

• in what format ? .jpg, .bmp, .tif, else ?

Audio

• from where/what format ? iTunes, .avi, .mp3, .aiff, else ?

Trash iDVD Pref. file

The "com.apple.iMovie.plist" file

Many users has not observed that there are TWO libraries.

• Library - at root level

• Library - in user/account folder - THIS IS THE ONE to look into

from Luke Burns

I fixed the problem.. but it was very, very strange. I had a very long section for credits and set the line spacing to 1.0.. for some reason this caused it. I removed it, and it worked fine. I put it back, and I couldn't preview or play the video.

I don't know why that could cause that big of a problem, but it did..

Yours Bengt W

• Jasper Lupo Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Check to see if any of your clips are playing faster than the original.  If you speed up a clip by 300% or any percent except 200%, 400%, or 800%, two things happen.  First, you can't export the project.  Second, audio skimming breaks.  Don't ask me why.  But changing the speed solved all my problems with export and skimming.

• Suefromlosangeles Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Luke

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  I will answer some of your questions:

Error -50   paramErr  Error in user parameter list

Can there be any external hard disks - if so How is/are it/they formatted ? Must beMac OS Extended (hfs) if used for Video.  -  I HAVE AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE THAT I BACK UP MY COMPUTER TO AND I USE TIME MACHINE.  I DO NOT HAVE FOOTAGE ON THAT DRIVE AND DO NOT ENGAGE THE DRIVE IN ANY WAY WHILE MAKING A VIDEO.

UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - works for most but not for VIDEO. - NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE ASKING ON THIS MATTER...

What this means in Your situation is above me.

• free space on internal boot hard disk? How much ?  I DONT HAVE A LOT OF FREE SPACE ON MY MAC BOOK PRO -- ABOUT 30 GB LEFT.. IT IS 240GB IN TOTAL

Pictures

• in what format ? .jpg, .bmp, .tif, else ?  USUALLY PICS ARE IN JPEG FORMAT AND YES I DO INCLUDE PICTURES IN MY VIDEOS BUT NOT OFTEN

Audio

• from where/what format ? iTunes, .avi, .mp3, .aiff, else ? - AUDIO - USUALLY MP3 FILES..

Trash iDVD Pref. file

• Library - in user/account folder - THIS IS THE ONE to look into - I LOOKED AT THIS AND FUNNY TO SAY THAT THERE ARE TWO FOLDERS "PLUG INS" AND "SOUND EFFECTS" BOTH ARE EMPTY. NOT SURE WHAT ELSE TO LOOK FOR....

from Luke Burns

I fixed the problem.. but it was very, very strange. I had a very long section for credits and set the line spacing to 1.0.. for some reason this caused it. I removed it, and it worked fine. I put it back, and I couldn't preview or play the video.  - SO WEIRD... I ONLY RECENTLY EXPORTED THE VIDEO AND THEN WHEN I WENT IN TO .TIGHTEN THE EDITS.. I COULD NO LONGER EXPORT THE VIDEO.  I CAN EXPORT ANOTHER VIDEO IN I MOVIE.. BUT THEN FOUND THAT I COULDNT EXPORT A THIRD ONE ... SIZE OF THE FILE DOESNT MATTER AS I COULD EXPORT A 4 MINUTE EDIT BUT COULD NOT EXPORT A 1 MINUTE EDIT... SO WEIRD!

I don't know why that could cause that big of a problem, but it did..  THANK YOU I WILL LOOK AT YOUR SUGGESTION RE FONT AND SPACING... BUT I HAVE NOT MADE ANY CHANGES IN THAT AREA SINCE THE TIME I WAS ABLE TO EXPORT THE VIDEO THE FIRST TIME I EDITED IT...

VERY VERY CONFUSED AND SAD

Yours Bengt W

Hi Jasper

thank you also for your response

See my feedback

Check to see if any of your clips are playing faster than the original.

If you speed up a clip by 300% or any percent except 200%, 400%, or 800%, two things happen. 

First, you can't export the project.  Second, audio skimming breaks.  Don't ask me why.  But changing the speed solved all my problems with export and skimming.

YES I HAVE ENCOUNTERED THIS PROBLEM IN THE PAST.. I USED TO FAST FORWARD AT ANY RATE AND THEN REALISED SO I NO LONGER WORK IN PERCENTAGES OTHER THAN THOSE STIPULATED.. BUT 300%?? I HAVE USED 300% AND IT HAS BEEN FINE IN THE PAST BUT YES I WILL LOOK AT THAT... OTHERWISE I DO NOT USE ANY VARIATION OTHER THAN THOSE SET BY IMOVIE.  THE AUDIO BLEEDS ARE ANNOYING AS WELL!!

ANYWAY I WILL TRY AND THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR TAKING THE TIME

OK

Audio

• from where/what format ? iTunes, .avi, .mp3, .aiff, else ? -

AUDIO - USUALLY MP3 FILES..

I never use .mp3 or directly from iTunes - all extra audio I convert to .aiff 16-bit 48kHz or from Audio CD (still .aiff) and 44.1kHz

Trash iDVD Pref. file

• Library - in user/account folder - THIS IS THE ONE to look into -

I LOOKED AT THIS AND FUNNY TO SAY THAT THERE ARE TWO FOLDERS "PLUG INS" AND "SOUND EFFECTS" BOTH ARE EMPTY. NOT SURE WHAT ELSE TO LOOK FOR....

If You found the Right Library (in Your User account) then look into

Mac Hard Disk (start-up HD) / Users / "Your account" / Library / Preferences

Trash - com.apple.iMovie.plist - While iDVD is not running !

But there are a much safer way to test to see if the problem is here.

• Start a new User Account - log into this and re-try iDVD. If it works OK then the problem most certainly is the pref. file.

And Please do not Yell ! - using capital letters indicates Yelling in this and most forums - Please be polite.

Yours Bengt W

Hi Bengt

I have gone into the Library preferences and found 2 "com.apple.iMovie.plist" files -

com.apple.iMovie7.plist

com.apple.iMovie8.plist

com.apple.installer.plist

I have iMovie9 which is kind of weird that its not listed... so what do you suggest i do -- trash these?

I dont use iDVD i use iMovie

but i will check the iDVD pref file as per your suggestion.

FInally  how do i start a new user account?

Apologies re capital letters - was just trying to differentiate your responses to mine for easy reference. 

Thanks again

best

Sue

Easiest way to see if the pref files are the problem is by Creating a New User-Account

• Go up top left hand corner - Apple Menu -

• Down this to System Set-ups/Preferences

• Here select Accounts

• Click on the Plus sign (down left) and create a new User

• When Saved and done - Close window

• Up to top left - now down to - Log-Out

• Now Log in as the new User

• And test iMovie now

If it works OK then the Pref file is the problem maker.

• Delete iMovie pref. file

iMovie pref. file resides.

Mac Hard Disk (start-up HD)/Users/"Your account"/Library/Preferences

and is named. (one or more of these)

com.apple.iMovie.plist

com.apple.iMovie3.plist

com.apple.iMovie7.plist

com.apple.iMovie8.plist

com.apple.iMovie9.plist

com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

and find

com.apple.iApps.plist

While iMovie is NOT RUNNING - move this/these file/s out on to desk-top.

Now restart iMovie.

Yours Bengt W

Hi Bengt

Thank you once again for your time in responding.  I did all the above,  thing is when i went to try to export the movie i grabbed a completed video and then cut it a little but i was unable to import the full movie to really see what was up. At any rate i was able to export the project which was one full 3 minute 50 second edit with music all included but with a few chopped up edits at the end to not have it be one complete file.

again - i was able to export that from Imovie in the new user mode. 

Nevertheless i performed the tasks you outlined above and trashed the file and then dragged the iApps file out and restarted imovie and it still wont export.

i am perplexed.

I dont know what to do and i dont blame you for not responding if you have too much to do .. but if you have time and want the challenge i am all ears

thank you

Sue

Not un-willing to help - But severely running out of ideas.

Any TimeMachine connected - Turn it off

Any other devices connected - Dis-connect if possibly

I would use the New User Account - at least to get job done.

Yours scraping the floor - Bengt W

Hi Bengt

thanks again... i understand your situation.

no time machine attached.  No other devices attached - only Magic jack.. hmmm i can try without that plugged in.

the new user account will be painful to use as i have over 4 hours of footage in the other account and it would be virtually impossible to transfer it over and if so i dont know how.. my computer wouldnt have the memory either to have two sources of that much footage

i appreciate your time - i have no idea what else to do and i guess we are all stumped

thanks again

Sue

Hi Bengt

i have another interesting piece of information that may well help you solve the problem... i figure you are intrigued enough to help

i now go into the imovie app and notice that i am no longer given the additional colour correcting tools as i have always had.  i only have the basic colour wheel with white point.

i used to have more of a choice whereby i could make the image black and white and then add 1 colour ... this has disappeared almost as if it has reverted to an earlier edition of imovie however i have only ever installed imovie09..

i have never upgraded... does this shed any light on the problem?  yes i am still having the same issue

i hope you are well

thank you
    Sue