Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn on home sharing WITHOUT a remote?

Lost my remote. Want to use iPhone remote app. Need to turn on home sharing on apple tv, but apparently cannot without the remote! See the catch 22? Aka design flaw?

Itunes question across all platform

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 7:12 AM

You can buy a replacement online from Apple or at an Apple store.

7 replies

Mar 16, 2012 9:37 AM in response to 2manmoshpit

Yeah, it's always a good idea for networked devices that require configuration to have a web interface for configuring them. The Apple TV doesn't. I've complained about that from the start, as entering long passwords through the on-screen keyboard is a royal pain. If there were a web interface, it would be a simple matter of connecting temporarily to my wired network and then copy and paste.

If you have a Harmony or other updateable remote, you may be able to configure it as an Apple remote, which is just an ordinary IR remote. Otherwise, you'll have to buy an Apple remote.

Jul 14, 2012 1:37 AM in response to pplanch

This does not work. Just to prove it, I put the situation to the test.

Turned off home sharing on the ATV for a proper simulation.

Used a ProxySTA to connect ethernet bridge.

Power-Cycled ATV, and got main menu.

Guess what?.... no way to adjust anything because...... HOME SHARING IS NOT TURNED ON!

You need home sharing turned on so...... the question is... if you already have home sharing turned on, what on earth is the point of needing Ethernet in the first place?

I suspect the author... trying to do troubleshooting on his own jumped to the wrong conclusion, and somehow thought he had discovered a simple TRICK that every other engineer at Apple (& user) seems to have failed to notice.

How do I turn on home sharing WITHOUT a remote?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.