Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you think the new 27 inch iMac can handle video editing?

We're in need of updating our video station and were wondering if the newest 27" iMac could handle video editing?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 8:30 AM

9 replies

Apr 3, 2012 12:44 PM in response to Studio X

Want to jump in here to ask follow up, similar question about IMac for video editing. Using FCP 7, and my documentary film projects end up being about 300 GB (1-3 hours long).

It's been suggested that I get 2.4 Ghz quad core i 7, but i've also heard i5 is sufficient.

Also have been told to get 16 BG Ram, but then was told that I should just get 8 and use external drives for my project storage.

Also was told to get 27 inch, but someone else suggested a smaller size with second monitor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i.e. what would make me need the i7 or the 16 GB RAM?

thanks!!

Apr 3, 2012 1:06 PM in response to mbpellie

...what would make me need the i7 or the 16 GB RAM?

Running 64 bit apps in a 64 bit OS.

The amount of RAM should have no effect on the number of hard drives. For video you always want a minimum of two drives - one for the OS and apps and a second for the source material and project files.

FCS 7 will run fine with 8 GB. It is a 32 bit app and as such can not make use of more than 4 GB RAM.

x

Do you think the new 27 inch iMac can handle video editing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.