Number of Processors:1
  Total Number of Cores:2
  L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
  L3 Cache:3 MB
  Memory:8 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:4.8 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:MBP61.0057.B0F
  SMC Version (system):1.57f17

OS 10.7.3 - This issue was present in 10.6, so not an OS related issue.

On this sytem, it seems at times I may have the laptop keyboard partially covered, the entire system will freeze.  At this time, there will be artifacts all over the display.  No mouse movement or anything.  If I force boot the system by holding down the power button, all comes back happy.  Typically I would also remove stuff placed on the laptop keyboard (which would be there temporarily anyway, loose papers or a manilla folder).

This does not seem to happen in any repeatable way.  The last time this happened was about 3 months ago, and has happened almost since I purchased the machine.  Being so intermittent, I was unsure what the problem was and now out of warrentee.

My assumption is that the video card is overheating, and that it may vent through the keyboard.  I know the processor vents out the back.  Is there anything I can do to help keep the vid card cooler?  I am not sure if I can clean and apply fresh coat of thermal grease?  I have not pulled this apart that far.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading and your time.

X-Serve, iMac - Various years, Macbook Pro 2010, iPhone, AIX, Windows 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)