Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPad 3 with iPad 2 Charger

I just picked up my iPad 3 and was charging it with the charger from my iPad 1 since they looked identical, I noticed the percentage indicator wasn't really going up and when I touched the charger to make sure the cable was in firmly it was VERY hot, almost too hot to touch... Is this expected behavior? I thought the chargers were interchangeable between the iPads.

-Keith

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 9:12 AM

8 replies

Mar 16, 2012 9:17 AM in response to LI Keither

According to the Apple store, the 10W charger is the same across all three models of the iPad (although the title of your question seems to imply you are using an iPad 2 charger, but the body states an iPad 1).

We do know the battery in the new iPad is much larger and a much higher wattage than even the iPad 2, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if it heated up the charger.

Mar 16, 2012 9:49 AM in response to Mike Kelley

You're right, sorry I meant I'm using the charger from my iPad 1 (not 2), on my iPad 3. I called up Apple and they told me the part number is different for the ipad 3 and I should stick to using the charger which came with it, but he didnt sound like he knew what he was talking about so I'm going to call back again later and see what they say.

-Keith

Mar 16, 2012 3:31 PM in response to LI Keither

They both apppear to be the same charger... I think the issue is the new iPad has much larger batteries...

I switched the the new charger and I'm having the same experience... It appears that it would charge much faster if you not using the device (screen off), I guess one of the downsides for having an screen with such high resolution is slow charging...

Charging iPad 3 with iPad 2 Charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.