Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't you edit you posts to discussions on iDevices like on your computer?

I'm posting again because Apple has release a new iOS upgrade and still not addressed this. I have to wonder the thinking why Apple lets you edit a post to Discussions when posted from your computer but not from an iPad, iPhone or iPod.

Anyone have a clue why Apple restricts edits on iDevices?

Mac Pro 3.0 GHz Quad-Core, iPad WiFi/3G, iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 30" HP Display, 22" Cinema Display

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 9:27 AM

Unfortunately, it isn't really an Apple restriction. It is a product of the software used to run the forums.

Stedman

6 replies

Mar 16, 2012 10:39 AM in response to stedman1

So they must have a browser sniff that then doesn't allow Mobile Safari from editing. And THAT means someone when to some trouble to think this through to purposely disallow us mobile users from editing. No offense, but your comment implies that the software has a mind of its own.

On the contrary, the designers and programmers purposefully must have decided to restrict us and programmed accordingly.

I just don't get the rationale. If it were a device issue where the devices didn't have enough computing power to do it, then that would be understandable and acceptable of course. But I'm in the dark and don't know what their rationale was.

I just know that we all make mistakes, we've all posted and had the sinking feeling that we forgot something or made some attrocious spelling error, etc. and NEED to make a quick edit.

Especially with virtual keyboards being harder to type on, and auto-type sometimes making the absolutely worst choice to respell one of our words... you know. We ALL know. Editing is a must. Being careful helps too 🙂 But still... if a computer can edit, why not a mobile device?

Mar 17, 2012 4:42 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

It is simply a limitation in the JavaScript support in Safari for iOS, pure and simple, plus problems with the Jive software Apple uses for these forums. Nobody has made any conscious decision to block you from editing in Safari on iOS, and as has already been pointed out, other browsers may properly support those scripts. Atomic and iCabMobile are two that do.

Further, the hosts have been aware of this issue for some time... We regulars tend not to let them forget about stuff like that. The fact that it's not fixed yet tells me it's not a quick and easy fix.

Why can't you edit you posts to discussions on iDevices like on your computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.