1 59 60 61 62 63 Previous Next 1,338 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2013 2:07 AM by Gordon Phillips Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 900. Re: New iPad overheating?
    Encrypted11 Level 2 Level 2 (350 points)

    AirForce.kid wrote:

     

    the overheat problem is real for those who preordered before march 16 and still before april.

    It is not isolated to preorders and before April. My 3rd unit aka 2nd replacement unit still has the issue although its less severe. Going back to the iPad 2. I'm not being hopeful at all.

  • 901. Re: New iPad overheating?
    katinak67 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    I agree that it's not isolated to preorders. Although for the opposite reason as you Encrypted11, mine doesn't have the overheating problem at all. BUT I am not a heavy gamer, so....

  • 902. Re: New iPad overheating?
    AirForce.kid Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    The apple techs at my apple store and at my micro center said that apple is changing the programming in the newer iPads otherwise this is my 2nd ipad (replacement free of charge no apple care) and why would they give me another ipad thats exactly the same. Thats the reason your is less severe now. they toned the heating problem down but they werent able to solve the problem because the new ipad use so much energy with the retina display and the 3.1 million pixels. i think soon they should have the heating issue solved somewhat so that it wont be as hot to use. because when youre outside you need the high brightness to see the screen. thats where people use their ipad the most. i do atleast becaus i have the att 4g model.

  • 903. Re: New iPad overheating?
    Kim Hill1 Level 2 Level 2 (160 points)

    AirForce.kid wrote:

     

    the overheat problem is real for those who preordered before march 16 and still before april...

     

    False.

     

    There's zero credible evidence that a problem (to the extent it exists) has any correlation to ship date.

     

    AirForce.kid wrote:

     

    The apple techs at my apple store and at my micro center said that apple is changing the programming in the newer iPads...

     

    Either they're blowing smoke or you are.

     

    AirForce.kid wrote:

     

    My iPad got so hot while watching Netflix I dropped and cracked the screen. Apple is replacing it but my fingers was singed in the process. […] Actually I had it on my table as I was eating I needed to pause the video to go to the bathroom. As I did the heat wasn't bad until I grabbed around the middle in landscape mode. My hands are sensitive so I immediately felt the intensity of the heat and dropped it. The movie was 2 hours long and I was at the hour and ten minute mark...

     

    I still say you're a troll.

  • 904. Re: New iPad overheating?
    AirForce.kid Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    there is correlation my new ipad is being shipped from a new location of foxconn's. my first ipad was shipped from shenzen, foxconn's main plant. now its coming from foxconn's chengdu plant. this doesnt necessarily prove that the ipad may have changed. but its a totally different plant  so maybe the way its internal are a tad different who knows.

    apple says its max temp is 95 degrees fareinheit which is in it design. but consumer reports says they got their new ipad to 116 degrees plugged in and 113 unplugged while playing infinity blade II. (i have this app and have noticed extremely warm temps) also Consumer reports says the ipad does not charge while playing a intensive application (which i have found out is also true for me). consumer reports is a trustworthy source and clearly proved apple wrong. i sense a recall happening within about 2 months.

     

    as for being called a troll idc what you say spending $700 on  product you want your money's worth and a good product. you do not want a defective peice of trash. I payed for an awesome tablet i need to receive an awesome tablet. I am not trolling I just want my moneys worth! is that a terrible thing to ask?

  • 905. Re: New iPad overheating?
    BerthaVanation Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    This "troll" business is beyond ridiculous.  You continue to jump down anyone's throat who posts their experience if it does not make your employer (apple) look the brightest.

     

    The heat issues are real, and unacceptable.  I tried two new iPads and decided the heat and quick draining battery were not a worthy trade off for the better screen and 4g speed.  I returned my (2nd) new iPad for an iPad 2 today and could not be happier.

     

    It performs perfectly, does not even get the slightest bit warm and, after several hours, I have hardly used any battery.  Amazing really, and proof that Apple can and does make incredible products.  I am just afraid Apple may have rushed the iPad 3 a bit, and I am sure they will have these issues resolved for the iPad 4 or before.

     

    In the meantime, those who can (or choose to) handle the heat will be your friends and those who do not tolerate the extreme heat generated, will probably continue to be accosted by the Apple Ogres.

     

    I will just sit here and smile with my cool hands wrapped around by cool running iPad2.

  • 906. Re: New iPad overheating?
    j-picard Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    And there are plenty of us who have 3s and have no issues.  Mine does not heat up, but I don't keep the brightness over 45% unless watching a movie, so this is no issue.  I charge overnight 2x per week, as surfing the web/emailing/goodreader and the other apps I use barely exhaust more than 10% of the battery per day.

     

    The ipad 3 is fine, just some people have unfortunately received units that may have been less than perfect.  And for others who are neurotic, the tiniest flaw is enough to exchange the device. 

     

    For me, the device is fantastic, and I've no complaints.

  • 907. Re: New iPad overheating?
    Kim Hill1 Level 2 Level 2 (160 points)

    AirForce.kid wrote:

     

    ...apple says its max temp is 95 degrees fareinheit which is in it design.

     

    False.

     

    Apple's 95º temperature figure is for the surrounding environment- not for the device.

     

    AirForce.kid wrote:

     

    ...consumer reports says they got their new ipad to 116 degrees plugged in and 113 unplugged while playing infinity blade II. […] consumer reports is a trustworthy source and clearly proved apple wrong.

     

    Ummm- since you feel that Consumer Reports is a "trustworthy source" — did you miss the part where they said that iPad 3 heat is not a "cause for concern" — and rated iPad 3 the top tablet on the market?

     

    http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/02/consumer-reports-names-new-ipad-top-tablet-says -heat-isnt-cause-for-concern/

     

     

    AirForce.kid wrote:

     

    as for being called a troll idc what you say spending $700 on  product you want your money's worth and a good product. you do not want a defective peice of trash.

     

    […]  i sense a recall happening within about 2 months.

     

    You're a troll.

  • 908. Re: New iPad overheating?
    Kim Hill1 Level 2 Level 2 (160 points)

    BerthaVanation wrote:

     

    She then called a Manager over, and he said [Best Buy] cannot order any more New iPad's (except a couple of the wi-fi only units) at this time because of the number that have been returned so far because of the heat issue.  Not only can you no longer order them through their website, but they can not even order them using their system or even from different stores.

     

    Besides Apple, Best Buy has to be one of the largest retailers of the iPads, and the fact that they are currently on lockdown, seems to indicate something is going on that Apple is not telling us about.

     

    JimHdk wrote:

     

    This is complete misinformation. New iPads are being sold by Apple, Target, and many other suppliers. Best Buy might be out of stock but any story about iPads being returned for heat problems is complete baloney.

     

    Even the tech analysts don't know about this — it's all a gigantic secret — except for the anonymous "BerthaVanation"...

     

    Trolls abound...

  • 909. Re: New iPad overheating?
    AirForce.kid Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    if anything by the definition of troll you just bash any1s claims of the new ipad. facts are here, the new ipad is amazing! every1 can attest to that, even me. but the one major flaw that it overheats to about 120 degrees fareinheit. computers need fans for 160 degrees fareinheit internal temperature because intense heat fries the CPU. As for Jim, he has probably confirmed a bit what i said before, apple is changing something in the ipads to correct this issue.

    sincerely a troll who loves apple? lol

  • 910. Re: New iPad overheating?
    BerthaVanation Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Of course they know about the heat issue and the fast draining battery.  Apple has hired Ogres such as yourself to keep it a "gigantic secret", by keeping the focus off the real issues long enough to hopefully resolve the issue.  They have asked you to attempt to discredit everyone who shares their experiences with the public.  Apparently someone thinks it is beneficial to have you Ogres out there insulting people and calling them names, but I think this issue is too big even for you Kim Hill1.

     

    By the way, when I exchanged my (2nd) new iPad yesterday for an iPad 2, the folks at Best Buy again reiterated the excessive number of new iPad returns for heat continue.  I am now enjoying my new iPad 2 with cool hands and a long battery life....and the fact that I saved $100 does not hurt either.  Nobody should pay over $800 for a product that heats up and and does not provide a positive experience, and then have to endure Ogre abuse when the try to share their experience.

     

    Will the Ogres ever stop?

  • 911. Re: New iPad overheating?
    j-picard Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Ask yourself that question first.

  • 912. Re: New iPad overheating?
    Encrypted11 Level 2 Level 2 (350 points)

    Following the direction of the discussion in the final few pages, I'm glad to see people who are along the right side with right beliefs for the wrong or for the right.

     

    At the end of the day, no one has to be a winner. We're playing a zero-sum game in this forum (while commenting on each other's thoughts) and yet some just can't live with it, looking it as a non-zero sum. This is a lesson I learnt myself when I began foruming (elsewhere on the net) for the first time in my life years back then, being one of these guys really upsets the person in myself.

     

    We don't have to say names here but deep down we know, although most of us cannot come up with 100% agreements with each others comments and thoughts, we more or less are not out there to be a snake trying to devour an elephant or mammoth unlike some others who do. I'm also not saying I, or anyone have to be 100% right on whatever they say.

     

    Rise above, please.

     

    On topic: Was your iPad 2 64GB an open-box BerthaVanation?

     

    On my side, I've phoned out the major resellers in my country and on enquiries on their iPad 2 inventories (of course they can check their own retail network's inventory) and none of then held the iPad 2 32GB White, Wi-Fi I was looking for.

    A bummer to me but I'm making time for myself to attend to such silly refund and exchanges while I'm so caught up with my working life. Anyway going forward, I would be just as happy with a black coloured unit as I have the Moshi iVisor which can "change" the colour of the iPad.

    I'm giving up the New iPad due to reliability reasons I feel that are extremely important.

     

    @katina67, well I guess its good for you since your needs doesn't push the iPad to the extent that it gets screwed (Not assuming your iPad is screwed anyway ). I'm turning back, not moving on.

  • 913. Re: New iPad overheating?
    Encrypted11 Level 2 Level 2 (350 points)

    Interestingly, the "New" iPads produced in 16GB capacity after the New iPad announcements are using a second gen A5 processor, a migration from 45NM technology to Samsung's New 32NM HKMG.

     

    Why does NM matter to consumers liek you and me? This technical improvement simply equates to the ability to put the same number of transistors in a smaller amount of space. This also means the design is more power efficient and space saving or even capable of achieving LOWER operating temperatures at the same time in simple words. To the contrary, New iPads' A5X is running on the 45NM technology which is less efficient.

     

    After poking around, the comments that strikes me the most is that Apple is testing the water by first putting this on iPad 2s and Apple TVs with hope of bringing them to newer chips like the A5X or even A6 in the future for efficiency but then again they're not ready to make the change.

     

    To me, this is an indication that Apple recognises the inefficiency of the A5X or current processors they hold but going on with the current A5X's current 45NM could also indicate:

    1. Means of Apple attempting to manage expectations.
    2. Doing this to the A5 is also a sound approach IMO because people and even they themselves know the device as a whole achieves a gold standard in terms of heat management which makes it even sounder for releasing this like in a "public beta" fashion
    3. The spotlight is now shifted to the new mainstream device, the New iPad which makes the change of an innard of the iPad 2 less apparent.

    Leaving it up to this point.

  • 914. Re: New iPad overheating?
    MzeeKeith Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hi there I have the iPad 60gb wifi modle and it to gets pretty damned hot, uncomfortably so much much hotter than iPad2. Even a short time surfing makes it hot and if I am streaming films or tv it gets very hot. Makes me worried that its gonna last so I close it down and allow it to cool but its hot again after just 10 mins or so.

    I hope that Apple solve the problem soon heard talk of everyone sending them back but what would I do without my iPad !!!

    The battery drains pretty quick to f you ask me, sadly I am wishing I had kept the iPad 2 I had before.

    Please Apple work this one out or give us some garantees.

1 59 60 61 62 63 Previous Next