Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rendering trouble

Can someone help? I keep getting an "insufficient disk space" pop-up when I try to render. I am currently trying to render a 3 minute clip. My internal HD does only have about 3 GB of space, but I have an external HD set up as the scratch disk for Final Cut. The file is on the external HD but for whatever reason it wants to save the rendered files on the internal HD. Any suggestions. Thank you.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 3:18 PM

3 replies

Mar 16, 2012 4:26 PM in response to junier

My personal recommendation would be to make sure you keep at least 15% free space on ALL hard drives and a minimum of 20% on the boot (system) drive. FCP and other programs use the free space on the boot drive for temporary swap files - if there isn't enough space it can cause a wide range of issues.

As for the render files themselves, you can set the destination for both audio and video render files in FCP's settings.

-DH

Mar 16, 2012 4:44 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

Thanks for the reply. My Macbook HD reads 54.9 GB with 2.98 available. I knew that Final Cut would take up most of the space but I installed it anyway. I have used omnidisksweeper but I honestly don't know what to delete to free up space. Do you know what I can delete? I thought about deleting LIVETYPE because it is using about 10 GB. I figured I can just use Final Cut or Motion for text work.

Rendering trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.