Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound from Apple TV connected via HDMI

I've connected my new Apple Tv to my monitor using HDMI. I've then connected a mini jack to the monitors audio out to my amp. I'm not getting any sound from the apple TV. Any ideas? The monitor is a Dell 3008WFP.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 1:52 PM

11 replies

Mar 16, 2012 3:22 PM in response to jon8979

Thanks for the reply. I'm already using the green jack. I've had a slight improvement (?) in that I now get some sound but it plays for a second then cuts out for a second. Lots and lots of stuttering - I've tried local iMac content plus streaming, both the same. I fear that it is a monitor hardware fault. I might try an optical to RCA converter and get the audio from the AppleTV instead.

Mar 16, 2012 6:35 PM in response to infinityplusone

Maybe your monitor does not support audio over HDMI. Maybe since it is a monitor and not a TV, only video is supported by HDMI. Jon indicates that your monitor has analog audio out, so if the monitor can't convert the digital audio to analog, then perhaps it won't work. Just a thought. Since you mentioned the optical to RCA converter, I am guessing you don't have a Dolby Digital receiver to feed the audio.

Mar 25, 2012 12:25 AM in response to infinityplusone

I have the same problem - I have a Dell 3008WFP monitor, an Apple TV 2 and the sound is going through the green jack. It worked fine for several months - then I upgraded to iOS 5.1 and had this problem. I believe that's the only difference. The sound works fine through the DVD player (Panasonic DMR-PWT500GL). The cables are fine, well connected and I tried everything at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2090 already. There's a setting on the monitor for 5.1 or 2.1 sound - neither works.

I wish I could downgrade the OS to check 😟 It was highly annoying timing - had a party that night, bought lots of iTunes music, then upgraded the OS and then couldn't stream it - I had to bring my laptop into the living room instead.

The only thing I can think of is the aforementioned optical cable to RCA convertor. Otherwise, unless Apple can fix it, it's only good as a doorstop now.😠

Mar 31, 2012 12:07 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Thanks, but this was one of the first things I tried. Today I tried a different HDMI cable just to be sure. The only thing left to do is to try to downgrade the OS somehow (hopefully seas0npass will help at some point) or the optical connector. It would be quite difficult to drag the monitor to the Apple store for them to take a look.

The sound is intermittent in that it works about half the time - here's a video example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLiP4yDuK9Q

May 3, 2012 6:09 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Right - I will!

Tonight I picked up my "warranty" replacement ATV2 from the local Apple store, which had 4.4.4 installed by default. I am happy to report it works perfectly again. My problem was exactly the same as the original poster - "stuttering". So I think infinityplusone can fix his/her problem by the same means - the timing was just too coincidental, that two people suddenly complain about a 3008WFP not working days after iOS 5.0 came out.

The ATV2 with 5.0 DID work fine with a different HDMI TV. So clearly it was the OS. I suspect Apple is too big a company to care very much - most people will be using it with TVs.

The very first thing I did was download seas0npass and tinyumbrella to jailbreak and back up the SHSH in case it "accidentally" updates itself sometime. Isn't it stupid that I had to do a "warranty" replacement to fix this?! Apple tries to stop you downgrading - they are not the Apple of yore. I was even thinking of getting a U3011 (successor to the 3008WFP) in order to get 2 HDMI ports to connect my PVR/Blu-Ray player and Apple TV to separate ports, and maybe getting an ATV3, but now it should be sufficient to get an HDMI and audio switch.

I also have to say I can't see any advantage of 5.0 over 4.4.4 - I'm from Australia and don't care about MLB / WSJ / NHL at all. One thing 5.0 did was just make those even more prominent. I suspect many Americans are the same. Now I can install XBMC and watch al-Jazeera as I wanted to - don't need Raspberry Pi just yet.

May 3, 2012 7:16 PM in response to cancerward

cancerward wrote:

I suspect many Americans are the same.

Nope. Many Americans are not connecting their AppleTV to a computer monitor, they are connecting it to their HDTV, which is what it was designed for. You said the AppleTV worked with a TV, but you somehow claim it is the OS on the AppleTV. If it works on a TV, but not on your Dell PC Monitor, then perhaps it is your monitor. This is not Apple's problem when you are not using the product as it was designed to be used. The advantage of AppleTV 5.0 is also the ability to stream your prior Movie and TV purchases directly from Apple's servers without having to turn on your computer. Maybe that is not an option in Australia. You can also use google to search for downgrading the AppleTV. That is what the USB port is for on the AppleTV, in addition to service access. Yes, it is stupid that you had to do a warranty replacement when there was nothing wrong with your AppleTV because you are jailbreaking it and using in a configuration that it was not designed for, after you confirmed that it worked fine with a TV.

No sound from Apple TV connected via HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.