Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the new iPad is not charging as I'm using it.

Im using my Mac air book USB port to charge the new iPad and it's not charging as I'm using it. I use the same way to charge my iPad 2 and have no problems with charging while I use it. Anyone else have this problem or a fix ?

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 3:19 PM

6 replies

Mar 16, 2012 7:15 PM in response to jvh1967

The quickest way (and really the only way) to charge your iPad is with the included 10W USB Power Adapter. iPad will also charge, although more slowly, when attached to a computer with a high-power USB port (many recent Mac computers) or with an iPhone Power Adapter. When attached to a computer via a standard USB port (most PCs or older Mac computers) iPad will charge very slowly (but iPad indicates not charging). Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad via USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain.

Apple recommends that once a month you let the iPad fully discharge & then recharge to 100%.

At this link http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/galaxy-tab-android-tablet,3014-11.html , tests show that the iPad 2 battery will charge to 90% in 3 hours 1 minute. It will charge to 100% in 4 hours 2 minutes.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Mar 21, 2012 4:47 PM in response to jvh1967

Experienced user of both IPad 1 & 2. Day one owner of the new iPad (aka iPad 3). I opened the box, plugged in the ne iPad into the new power adapter and cable, and wen to bed. I didn't get a chance to play with my new toy until ~15 hours later. I powered it up and it was 86% charged! What??? So I kept it plugged in and did a restore, loaded new apps, played with it, enjoyed it, etc... When I look at the power it is now 82%. Long story short: my new iPad doesn't seem to charge properly or fully. If left alone, unplugged, the power drops about 20% per hour. When plugged in and is being used, the power drops at ~6% per hour. I happen to think there is a problem with mine, and some of the other units. BTW, mine is an AT&T 64GB with 4G. Maybe it's the larger units. Anybody else have any ideas? I called my Apple store and requested a new unit.

Why is the new iPad is not charging as I'm using it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.