Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

saving from photoshop

Since the recent upgrade to aperture 3.2.3 when saving from photoshop cs5 back to aperture, in split view the changes appear in the bottom icon row, but will now show up in the image on the main screen for split view. I have to close aperture and reopen and only then will it show the changes made in split view. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to fix this?

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 5:21 PM

19 replies

Mar 16, 2012 10:51 PM in response to planomacuser

Same here: I see the edits in the thumbnails in the filmstrip, but not on the Preview in the Viewer panel in split mode. The funny thing is,this only happens when I edit more than one version of an image in CS5.

• For the first version of a CS5 edited image it usually suffices to zoom in on the image to force the creation of a new preview and to see the edits in the viewer without having to quit.
  • If I send this image to Photoshop again and thus ceate a third exernally edited version there seems to be no way to force the viewertto display the edits - no zooming or deleting previews does help.

To me this looks like Aperture is building the previews from the wrong master image file, if there is more than one externaly edited copy of the image.

Is this the same in your case, or do you have this problem with all edits?

Regards

Mar 17, 2012 4:20 PM in response to planomacuser

It happens I believe on all my edits trying to come back from photoshop cs5.

Then your Version of Aperture behaves diffrently from mine. Do you also run MacOS 10.7.3?

Also when you say you zoom, how do you do that?

I use the "Zoom Viewer" Button above the Filmstrip or the keyboard shortcuts (cmd)+,(cmd)-

User uploaded file

Hopefully somebody, who sees exactly the same symptoms as you will join us here soon 🙂

Regards

Mar 17, 2012 4:56 PM in response to léonie

Yes I am using that version of MAC OS 10.7.3 and of course the latest update to Aperture. This never happened before this latest update.

Thanks for the info on the zoom. I used it and when it zooms it shows the photoshop adjustments. But when I go back to normal view size it shows the original non photoshopped image. The only way I can get the changes to show in that view panel is to close aperture and reopen. Then all is fine. But then again if I make any more adjustments from CS5 and come back to Aperture, I have to close it and reopen again.

Really weird. As much as I love Aperture and it's ease of use, especailly importing, it's library, backups etc, I am considering migrating over to Lightroom. I wonder just how much longer Apple is going to really support Aperture. I hear nothing about any major updates or changes coming out. Thanks for your help and I too hope someone else sees this string of comments and has some suggestions. I may be wrong but I couldn't find any direct communication to anyone in the Apple world that covers Aperture. It seems like you have to post these issues in the public forum and hope someone else finds a solution.

Mar 17, 2012 5:59 PM in response to planomacuser

planomacuser wrote:

Thanks for the info on the zoom. I used it and when it zooms it shows the photoshop adjustments. But when I go back to normal view size it shows the original non photoshopped image. The only way I can get the changes to show in that view panel is to close aperture and reopen. Then all is fine. But then again if I make any more adjustments from CS5 and come back to Aperture, I have to close it and reopen again.

No solution to offer, but seeing the exact same.

OS X 10.7.3

Aperture 3.2.3 (Fresh install from MAS)

Photoshop CS5 (12.0.4)

MacBook Pro 17" (Late 2011), 8 GB RAM, 480 GB (OWC) SSD

I have seen other reports with similar problems with Plug-Ins, so it looks more likely to be an AP 3.2.3 update issue than other programs.

Ho Hum. 😕

Mar 19, 2012 11:29 AM in response to planomacuser

Hiya

I've had a variance of this too with Photoshop CS4 - changes showing in the viewer but not the browser.

The following seemed to correct it:

• Opened Aperture preferences and chose another programme as the external editor (in my case Illustrator CS4 but I'm not sure it really matters - I think the solution may be more about re-establishing the path/link between Aperture and Photoshop).
  • Went to edit an image (NIkon NEF) with Illustartor via the 'edit with external...' command, upon trying to save the image I wasn't able to given file the Illustrator file format.
  • Quit Aperture and Illlustrator.
  • Re-opened Aperture and in preferences set the exyternal editor back to Photoshop CS4. Quit Aperture, and reopen.
  • Everything now working again as normal.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Gerard

MacBook Pro 4,1 2.5GHz OS 10.6.8 Aperture 3.2.3

Mar 19, 2012 4:29 PM in response to planomacuser

I have the same problem since updating to 3-point-whatever-the-**** it is at this point! Roundtrip to photoshop and back to aperture and NOTHING happens - no update to the preview, try to refresh preview, software says it is refreshed, try generate NEW preview - NOTHING! Not to mention all the other bugs, previews all warped, temporary update to the WRONG master image etc etc. Constant and never ending problem with **** software! Every update just causes more issues and wastes more of my time! Aperture 3 has been but nothing but a disappointment - a pathetic resource hog, and gross waste of time! Trying to work within the bounds of these annoying issues is just plain rediculous!

I wish they'd just fix the effin thing! Don't know why I even stuck with this software since pre 1.5 version

So frustrated!

saving from photoshop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.