Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I activate dictation on my iPad?

How do I activate dictation. It is on my phone but not my iPad

pc

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 6:28 PM

46 replies

Sep 5, 2017 8:25 AM in response to bobseufert

This is the most off topic and unhelpful thread I have come acrros. Anywhere.

The issue is a missing microphone key on the keyboard. It appears on my 9" iPad but not my 12" one. The dictation IS functioning as it popes up radomly for me just not. However there is no controls in Sttings in the places it is on my smaller iPad.

it is her in the larger one, just not accesable. Frustrating. Yes I tried all the keyboards I have. Yes I searched online and in apples help systems. Ideas?

please stay on tooic.

Regards Dave

Mar 17, 2012 7:11 AM in response to John608

I can't find an enable dictation setting either on my 4S or iPad2. However, several apps do have a dictation icon. In particular I use Evernote increasingly as my holdall for notes, vital information etc and if I'm in too much of a hurry to enter an appointment (for example, when at the dentist) I can dictate a note into evernote and transfer it later.

Mar 19, 2012 8:03 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

I have a new iPad (3rd gen). At setup, I can't remember having been asked to activate "Dictation".

In Settings > General > Keyboard there's no "Dictation" switch.

I've restarted my new iPad a couple of times to no avail. Any ideas as to why it doesn't work for me? 😟

I restored my iPad 2 backup onto my new iPad. Could that be the cause? 😮

How do I activate dictation on my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.