Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does your iPad 3 have a yellow hue?

Just got my iPad 3 set up. I had original iPad, iPad 2 to compare. Screen on iPad 3 has a noticeable yellow hue. Does yours?

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 6:00 PM

There are two other discussions about this currently.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3810949?answerId=17880296022#17880296022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3810544?answerId=17880200022#17880200022

See what they have to say.

28 replies

Mar 16, 2012 9:34 PM in response to Catherine Jackson

No yellowing at all on my 64 gb ATT 4G LTE. Also doesn't seem to be hot in the lower left cornet as some have reported.

However, sadly it is on it's way back to Apple. I did not do my homework and got the AT&T version before I learned that the Hotspot feature was disabled, and that ATT had the worse customer satisfaction ratings, dropped call problems, etc.

I also like the VZW 1gb for $20 vs ATT $14.95 for 250mb since I expect my 4g usage will probably range .5 to 1 gb.

To add insult to injury, I got about 1/2 bar reception on ATT, so no good for me no matter what other problems exist with ATT. 😟

I'll check back in 2-3 weeks when my new Verizon model arrives.....

Mar 18, 2012 5:49 AM in response to Catherine Jackson

Hello,

Once I recognised the yellow tint on my new IPad, I returned it to the Apple Store. Tried two others there, but same yellow display tint :( So I stay with my IPad 2 which looks much better.

I don't think anybody here appreciates reading emails and surfing in the web without whites being displayed as whites! :mad:

Also the viewing angle stability is very poor compared to the IPad 2. :mad:Don't like changing tint and contrast when tilting slightly the new IPad.

I am sure Apple changed to "cheaper" technologies for their Screens (same issue was for the IPhone 4S).

Sorry Apple, really not fair to display in the Apple Stores just new IPads with perfect, white screens, but to delivery only poor yellow ones! :(

Mar 19, 2012 7:50 PM in response to Catherine Jackson

I noticed the yellow tint while doing the app tranfer between my iPad1 and my iPad3. However, after looking at both of them while comparing to some reference photos on my desktop monitor, I noticed that the yellow tone on the iPad3 was related to the angle of view - in this case both were lying flat on the desk and I was looking at them from about a 45 degree angle. The iPad2 had no tint change from a straight 90 degrees to a 45 degree angle but the iPad3 began looking different as soon as I veered from straight on, significantly so at 45 degrees. So, for me this isn't a problem because I don't typically view the iPad from 45 degrees. But I will be keeping an eye on it...

Mar 24, 2012 1:04 PM in response to Catherine Jackson

I got an iPad 64 gig AT&T black. The yellow tint was immediately obvious because my Lilac point Siamese with white fur looked yellow. Side by Side with the same picture on the iPad 2 it was shocking how much better the 2 seemed.

I went to the Apple store, the first guy couldn't see it so he brought a photographer creative over and as soon as the creative was within two feet, he said, "the white balance is totally off!"

Long story short, I have exchanged them twice so I have gone through three and they all have the same yellow tint.

Pages that should be white look yellowed like they are old.

I hear "the glue thing", but I am wary. At the store, they said, "Don't worry, we will take care of you, even out of your 2 week return period."

But for a device that is touted for it's screen, one of the touts being color accuracy, I am disappointed. If went into iPhoto and adjusted Misty (the siamese) to look good on the iPad 3, then through the magic of iCloud I would have a crappy looking too blue picture on all my other devices.

Mar 26, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Catherine Jackson

I'm pretty sure mine is defective, as my brother's new iPad does NOT do this. I don't mind have a warmer screen. Within colors, it's actually nice, but all my grays and white are turning brown and yellow, and that's not acceptable. I'm going on Wednesday to get it swapped. Giving it time, just in case the claims that it goes away are true.

Here is an image of my calibrated monitor, vs the new iPad.

User uploaded file

Mar 29, 2012 5:07 PM in response to Catherine Jackson

I ordered an AT&T and a Verizon iPad 3 because I couldn't decide which one I wanted. By the time I got them, I decided I wanted to go with Verizon.

However, the displays on the two iPads were significantly different. The Verizon iPad was yellowish, and the AT&T IPad is bright white and gorgeous. Side by side, there's definitely a difference.

I exchanged the Verizon one for another one -- it was also yellowish.So I'm going to keep the AT&T one and return the Verizon one.

I asked a friend who works at Apple, and he said they are probably made in different factories. Also, I heard that there are multiple manufacturers of those retina displays, so that might be another reason. The guy at the apple store said, (and I quote), "Well, they're not all going to be identical." I don't know if I expected identical, but for $903.76 I expect it to be a lot closer. If I wanted something marginal, I'd buy a $200 tablet, right? (Note: Even my Kindle Fire is brighter than the Verizon iPad).

I'm not sure I would have noticed if I hadn't seen the bright white one, so I'm glad I did. It's disappointing that I have to keep the AT&T one instead of the Verizon one, but I read more than I'm going to use a data plan, so it's more important to get the right display.

Apr 2, 2012 8:33 PM in response to Catherine Jackson

My iPad3 arrived this afternoon (64G ATT). Very noticeable yellow hue and less bright when compared to my iPad 2. My wife, who reminded me that she normally never notices these things, immediately noticed it. Returned it to the Apple Store this evening; did not have my model in stock for an exchange, so got a refund. Will wait until I can purchase one in the store that I can confirm is not defective. Will likely wait a month or so so they can get their QA act together.

Does your iPad 3 have a yellow hue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.