Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an Airport Express convert a wireless signal to Ethernet?

I'm thinking this probably can't be done, but I figured I'd ask to verify. I know the manual says the Ethernet port on an Airport Express can only be used to connect to an existing network, but can it also convert the wireless signal to a wired one?

My Express is set to "Join a wireless network" so it essentially is extending my wireless network. I have a receiver that has an ethernet port for internet connectivity and I was hoping to use an ethernet cable between it and the Airport Express to join my network. Didn't appear to work.

I also have a Netgear WNCE2001 which is a WiFi Internet Adapter used for a different device. When I plugged that into the receiver, it was able to join the network. I was hoping to do the same with the Express. I have a 1st generation and it doesn't work. Wondering if later generations support that functionality? Thanks in advance!

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 10:06 PM

but can it also convert the wireless signal to a wired one?

Yes, if you have an AirPort Express 802.11n and you configure it using manual setup to "Join a wireless network" and check mark the option to "enable Ethernet clients".

My Express is set to "Join a wireless network" so it essentially is extending my wireless network.

The "join" setting does not provide any additional wireless coverage in the area where the Express is located. But, you can connect a printer to the USB port and "enable" the Ethernet port with the 802.11n version of the Express.

I have a 1st generation and it doesn't work.

If by this, you mean that you have an older "b/g" AirPort Express....then it will not do what you want. Check the Model Number on the side of the device. If you have Model No A 1084 or A 1088, that is the older "b/g" wireless version of the Express.

The 802.11n version is Model No A 1264.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2012 10:06 PM in response to SoCal Cal

but can it also convert the wireless signal to a wired one?

Yes, if you have an AirPort Express 802.11n and you configure it using manual setup to "Join a wireless network" and check mark the option to "enable Ethernet clients".

My Express is set to "Join a wireless network" so it essentially is extending my wireless network.

The "join" setting does not provide any additional wireless coverage in the area where the Express is located. But, you can connect a printer to the USB port and "enable" the Ethernet port with the 802.11n version of the Express.

I have a 1st generation and it doesn't work.

If by this, you mean that you have an older "b/g" AirPort Express....then it will not do what you want. Check the Model Number on the side of the device. If you have Model No A 1084 or A 1088, that is the older "b/g" wireless version of the Express.

The 802.11n version is Model No A 1264.

Mar 17, 2012 6:22 AM in response to SoCal Cal

The Express will only provide more wireless coverage...using wireless only...when it is configured to "Extend a wireless network"...not "Join a wireless network".

But, the "Extend" feature appears to be a proprietary function that will only work with other Apple products. It is not compatible with routers from other manufacturers.

The AirPort Express 802.11n will do everything that you want.....except....extend the wireless network. You can use with a printer, for AirPlan, and to provide an Ethernet signal to another device.

If you happen to need more than one Ethernet port, you can add a simple 5-port Ethernet switch to the Express.

Can an Airport Express convert a wireless signal to Ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.