Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving music from external to internal - what do I need to do?

Most of the discussions here regarding moving music seem to be from moving to an internal device to external. I have the opposite situation coming up and need some help.

I'm getting a new MacBook Pro (late 2011) next week with a 500 Gb internal HD. I have a 6-year-old "first generation" MBP that came with a 100 Gb drive and had no room for my 162 Gb iTunes library. Now that I have the space, I want to copy all my music from the external to the internal, and although I know that I should copy my "iTunes" folder on the external to the "Music" folder on the new computer, I'm unsure whether or not iTunes will "fix" the paths on it's own, or whether I'll have to drag all 2,000+ folders to the iTunes app to have it recognize the path changes.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 12:01 PM

you may let itunes search for you.

you may give try to data migration comes with your mac installation dvd.

5 replies

Mar 30, 2012 11:40 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Hello Clinton,

Did you solve it! I have the same problem as I want to store my "central" library for all other macs in my family to use when they want to use Itunes, makes sense frome a storage efficiency to me. I stopped by at the mac store in Stockholm and they said it was only to move the music folder, and go in and change under settings and advanced in Itunes to redirect it to the external hard drive and the new music folder.... but no, doesnt work.

Thanks for any help!

Mikael

Mar 31, 2012 9:40 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Mikael,

I tried "redirecting" the iTunes music via the Preferences menu and all my tunes "copied" to another folder - but stayed in the same folder. I ended up just dragging 33,000 songs to my iTunes icon and they registred just fine... although all of my playlists were eradicated. Sigh... it worked but I lost 10 years of playlists...

Clinton

Moving music from external to internal - what do I need to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.