Skip navigation

What are some good options for iPad (3rd Gen) protects that don't sacrifice aesthetics and function?

1264 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2013 4:03 AM by Controlsynergy RSS
LitterMines Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 17, 2012 9:37 AM

I just bought my first iPad (3rd gen.), and I am trying to decide on a solution to protect it from damage from day-to-day use and mishaps.  At a minimum, I want to protect the surfaces (screen, bezel, and rear case) from scratching and marring. I would like to have some degree of protection that would help it survive being dropped or banged around and such, i.e. a full encloseure, but only if it works well and looks good.  In other words, I'd be inclined to accept a little more risk to avoid something that is unsightly or that interferes with the iPad's functionality and ease of use.  On my iPhone 4S, I ended up going with a PowerSupport Cyrstal screen protector (front and rear) kit and then hedging my bet with AppleCare+.  But an iPad won't slip into the relative safety of my pocket, so I'm not ruling out a full case if I can find something I can live with.  Do any of you veteran iPad owners have any suggestions or recommendations for a quality, attractive, and functional iPad protection system?  Any input from the community will be appreciated.  Thanks.

iPad, iOS 5.1, 3rd Generation iPad
  • Rudegar Level 6 Level 6 (18,420 points)

I use the smartcover with my ipad2 it works great though it dont protect the back

• scott53 Calculating status...

It depends on how much protection you want. There are multitudes of options out there. My wife has the clear plastic back with the smart cover but I wouldn't want to drop it with that set up. I use a Targus leather portfolio type case on my gen 1 but for my new iPad I just ordered one of the Maroo folio type covers. It has good protection on the corners as well.

• Lowell Tuttman Level 4 Level 4 (1,345 points)

I am a big fan of the piel frama leather cases--very sturdy, beautifully crafted and very protective. I just ordered one for my new ipad, as Im giving my gen 1 with the case to my mom. Check on Amazon or Cases.com and look thru them--I ordered a black leather one with the stand option included. Good Luck on the hunt.

• NeilShapiro Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

I tried a plastic cover on the front and back that I really had good results with on my old iPad 2. The brand is Ghost Armor and it seemed clearer to me than Zagg. However, on the new iPad with the Retina display it just was not invisible. Looking very, very closely would reveal small less-than-pixel sized problems -- enough that I finally stripped off the front screen and am just going with the back. My feeling is that the retina display is sooooo perfect that you do not want to fool with it, just be sure to keep your smartcover closed. And, yeah, I would cover the back so as not to mar that area and also it protects the side of the case from tiny scratches sometimes caused by the smartcover attaching there. Next, I picked up at a Fossil store an iPad carrier that is sort of distressed leather and fabric in muted earthtones -- very cool looking. I bought it for the iPad 2 and it fits the new iPad fine (with smartcover attached). I think the stores still have them and they are a great buy at around $30 or so.

• swimmyz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I want something very unobtrusive too.  Does anyone know if the cases for the iPad2 fit the new iPad?  I would prefer a clear back cover but noticed speck won't have them available until April. I have seen many for the ipad2 that I like, just don't know if the very small difference in width will matter.

• yenga80 Calculating status...

I bought the otterbox defender series case for my new ipad. Very nice. I wouldn't worry about it dropping honestly. I have used their products on my ipod touch and phone. In my opinion you can't beat the quality and protection. They even have covers to plug the holes for the microphone and charger/sync port. check out their website and see for yourself why they are the best.

• blitzteh Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)

i use the smart cover and a back cover

• Chrisper Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

Definitely use a screen protector and find a case that you like. That's what I did and mine is safe.

• NeilShapiro Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

I had the Oberon on my Kindle and bought one for my iPad 2 -- they are simply the most beautifully designed and made cases out there. On the other hand I took it off my iPad 2 and will not get one for my iPad (new). That is because of the weight and the tickness. I use my iPad for ereading. Folding back that thick leather case makes the feel of the iPad a little unwieldy and it does add a great deal of weight. But if you can get by that the Oberons are just top-notch as far as looks.

• Controlsynergy Calculating status...

Hi,

If anyone is interested we sell a rugged iPad Case that passes the MIL-STD-810 drop test and IP68 submersion test.  www.controlsynergy.com.au

Rugged iPad dropped in pool web.jpg

"I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link."

<Edited By Host>

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.