Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my 1080p display look smaller in bootcamp?

When using bootcamp with Windows 7: My 1080p output is shrunk as if it has the wrong overscan settings. I am using a direct HDMI cable and the display works just fine when using OSX Lion.

I tried updating the AMD Catalyst software directly and there is no change. In fact: it's as if the catalyst didn't even install. I can't find the control panel anywhere.

It's not the monitor, I tried all the auto adjustment stuff. Plus, again, it works in OSX

It's not a cable. I tried switching them.

Other computers display correctly to the monitor (Acer, 1080p)

What the heck is going on?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 10:11 AM

11 replies

Mar 19, 2012 7:33 AM in response to Schickenipple

I have a mac mini 2011. two samsung s23b300H monitors. Both are connected via HDMI. In OSX all is fine. When using bootcamp with win7 64bit both screens have a black border around them.

Tried installing AMD catalyst 12.2. Did not seem to install. Tried 11.8 as suggest in other forums also did not seem to install.

How do we get acess to change the overscan?

Other forums suggest a 15% underscan by default from the video card.

Can this be fixed?

Mac Mini OS X10.7.3

Mar 20, 2012 7:04 AM in response to greyroo

I typed Crystal Control Center previously but it is actually Catalyst Control Center. You need the control center specifically to change the scaling. If you don't already have it installed, follow the link I posted to get it. Select Mac Pro when you get to the computer options as the Mac mini isn't listed. I used it on mine and it worked.

Oct 8, 2013 10:58 PM in response to Schickenipple

Old thread but since this is still a problem I'll go ahead and use it for my solution tip!

After installing windows 7 ultimate using boot camp on my mid 2011 MacMini I had the problem with black borders all around the screen on my 24" 1080p Benq monitor.

I tried several times to download / install a more recent version of the driver for the graphics card, as well as a separate installation of the Catalyst Control Center (CCC), whitout any luck.
When I got CCC installed it just would not open.

I then came across a solution on; http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62100 (scroll to post #24)

1: Using regedit, go the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\video{####....}\0000
2: Look for the 0000-folder containing the most ATI related content

3: Create a new DWORD and name it "DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan", set it's value to "0"

4: Reboot

- Done!

I later uninstalled CCC since I hade no use for it and the fix was still good - so no need for CCC.

Mar 22, 2015 1:36 AM in response to ichijo

Hi internet,

If someone still have some issues using HDMI in Boot Camp, I have another solution. (I´m running Windows 8.1 64-bit on a MacBook Pro Early 2011)

1. Download the latest Boot Camp drivers from this page; http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp
  2. Install the drivers and reboot.
  3. Open Catalyst Contol Center, click "Preferences" in the right corner, and then click "Advanced view".
  4. Now click "My digital Flat-panels", then "Properties (Digital Flat-Panel)". Under "Image Scaling Preferences", click "Enable GPU up-scaling".
  5. Click "My digital Flat-panels", then "Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel)", and drag the scaling button until you have right settings.

- Christian

Why does my 1080p display look smaller in bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.