Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you create new mailbox

I'm sure I'm overlooking something really simple, but I can't figure out how to make a new mail box or folder in Mail on my Ipad 3. (New Ipad / Ipad 3rd Gen.)

There does not seem to be an "Edit" while I'm in the Mail box list.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong.

I guess we're going to have to decide on what we're going to call the "New Ipad" This is going tio get confusing!

Ron Genovesi

PS: It's probably me. I also don't seem to be able to rearrange the icons on my Ipad. I have to rearrange them in iTunes.

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + 4G, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 11:38 AM

You can only create new mailboxes if your email account is IMAP. You cannot do it with a POP account.

If you are in the window of your particular email account where you can see the inbox, the sent folder, and trash folder - if there is not Edit button at the top of that column/window - the you do not have an IMAP account and you cannot create additional mailboxes.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2012 11:38 AM in response to HMBGENO

You can only create new mailboxes if your email account is IMAP. You cannot do it with a POP account.

If you are in the window of your particular email account where you can see the inbox, the sent folder, and trash folder - if there is not Edit button at the top of that column/window - the you do not have an IMAP account and you cannot create additional mailboxes.

Mar 17, 2012 12:23 PM in response to HMBGENO

When you've got the apps 'shaking' by pressing and holding one of them for a couple of seconds, then to move them to a different screen you should be able to drag it (not too quickly) so that it overhangs the edge of the screen, and after a second or two the display should change to that other screen.

You can also re-arrange your apps when connected to your computer's iTunes by selecting the iPad on the left-hand side of iTunes and using the screen mock-ups on the Apps tab on the right-hand side of iTunes.

Mar 17, 2012 12:25 PM in response to HMBGENO

It would seem to me that you know how to move apps so obviously this is a new issue that has arisen for you so I will suggest what I always suggest in situations like this. Restart or reset your iPad.

Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

I have also found that you have to hold the wiggling icons on the edge of the screen for a second or two and just hold them there - about halfway over to the next screen - and then the icon will jump to the next screen.

Oct 5, 2013 3:02 PM in response to Demo

Hi there,

I am trying to create new mailboxes and see from several other posts that you need an imap account to do this as a pop account does not allow it. I've also seen posts where it states that there will be no Edit button available if you have a pop account but I have an Edit button so is there a way I can add new mailboxes despite the fact that I a pop account.

Thanks.

Selbeep1.

How do you create new mailbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.