Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferred AppleID for Facetime?

I'm looking at setting up Facetime on my New iPad and was wondering which AppleID to use, my iTunes one or my DotMac/MobileMe/iCloud/AppleDiscussions one? Or can I set Facetime up on one device with the first one and then use the other one on a second device?

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 1:49 PM

10 replies

Mar 17, 2012 2:17 PM in response to romad

Blame Apple. My first AppleID was created when Apple launched the iTunes Music Store 9 years ago. Apple then assigned me a different one for my DotMac account which became my MobileMe account and which is now my iCloud account. Unfortunately Apple refuses to let us merge multiple IDs into 1 preferred ID.

So since Apple will NOT let me use only one AppleID, I have to stay with 2. So I'm asking which of the 2 would it be preferable to use.

Anyone else have polite suggestions? No more snarky replies please.

Mar 17, 2012 4:29 PM in response to romad

I personally have 2 Apple IDs. 1 is used for iTunes store only and is shared with my wife (luckily she didn't have any Apple products before we met, so she just started using mine) and the other is for everything else (MobileMe, iCloud, Apple Discussions, FaceTime, and iMessage). This enables my wife and I to have separate everything else and still share iTunes. My recommendation is using your everything ID.

Apr 27, 2012 10:37 AM in response to Philly_Phan

I agree and tried to do as you suggest not some glitch in the Matrix apparently prevents me from setting up

imessage and facetime. Apple tech support could not fix the problem so I know its complicated by unknown firces at itunes and previous itunes and emails all combined.

Awaiting Apple to resolve and call me back! from 4/26/12. Its 4/27, dont want to wait around all day. Even Apple store ipad class instructor never saw my error abount unable to use that password because its already in use!

Very frustrating that they have not allowed a migration or combination of itines, mobile me and icloud to one account , including past names becaues i am forgetting them now.

Come on Apple read and deal with these issues, your products are not seamless and without fault, like humans we are all imprefect.

Preferred AppleID for Facetime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.