10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2012 10:52 AM by obiwon4luke Branched to a new discussion.
romad Level 3 Level 3 (590 points)

I'm looking at setting up Facetime on my New iPad and was wondering which AppleID to use, my iTunes one or my DotMac/MobileMe/iCloud/AppleDiscussions one? Or can I set Facetime up on one device with the first one and then use the other one on a second device?

• Philly_Phan Level 6 Level 6 (12,270 points)

You are much better off using only one Apple ID for EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD.  You will regret multiple IDs.

• romad Level 3 Level 3 (590 points)

Blame Apple. My first AppleID was created when Apple launched the iTunes Music Store 9 years ago. Apple then assigned me a different one for my DotMac account which became my MobileMe account and which is now my iCloud account. Unfortunately Apple refuses to let us merge multiple IDs into 1 preferred ID.

So since Apple will NOT let me use only one AppleID, I have to stay with 2. So I'm asking which of the 2 would it be preferable to use.

Anyone else have polite suggestions? No more snarky replies please.

I'm leaning toward using my DotMac/MobileMe/iCloud/Apple Discussions ID even though the iPad enters my iTunes ID by default.

• celliott147 Level 4 Level 4 (1,135 points)

I personally have 2 Apple IDs. 1 is used for iTunes store only and is shared with my wife (luckily she didn't have any Apple products before we met, so she just started using mine) and the other is for everything else (MobileMe, iCloud, Apple Discussions, FaceTime, and iMessage). This enables my wife and I to have separate everything else and still share iTunes. My recommendation is using your everything ID.

Thanks. You re-enforced my leaning that way. I wish Apple would hire a programmer who knows how to merge 2 databases.

• celliott147 Level 4 Level 4 (1,135 points)

I actually like them being different. I like being able to share an account with my wife, but I like each of us being able to have our own iCloud (it's cheaper)

• obiwon4luke Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I agree and tried to do as you suggest not some glitch in the Matrix apparently prevents me from setting up

imessage and facetime. Apple tech support could not fix the problem so I know its complicated by unknown firces at itunes and previous itunes and emails all combined.

Awaiting Apple to resolve and call me back! from 4/26/12. Its 4/27, dont want to wait around all day. Even Apple store ipad class instructor never saw my error abount unable to use that password because its already in use!

Very frustrating that they have not allowed a migration or combination of itines, mobile me and icloud to one account , including past names becaues i am forgetting them now.

Come on Apple read and deal with these issues, your products are not seamless and without fault, like humans we are all imprefect.

Totally agree! Its a mess unless u just started wuth Apple.

whats the best way to come up with easy to remember IDs for Apple, icliud, itunes and does email need to me similar for @me.com?

Back having Problems setting up my iPad 2 to use iMessage and Facetime because it says my username is already in

Use! Apple tech support called but could not figure it out ! Wish Apple can merge the previous ID and figure out how to help this problem. Strangely enough iPhone 4s and iPad 3 works!

Help