Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad app for college.

Hello! First post here 😀

I own the iPad 2 64GB, and I'm planning on using it in class for viewing and annotating PDFs (and sometimes Power Point files), making quick notes and drawing (I'm an engineer student, so lots of equations)

I've been searching for apps, and I've come up with these ones: iAnnotate, PDF Expert and GoodReader, but I fail to see any difference between them, as all three assure that they are "the best pdf app out there".

Could you please enlighten me, or give me any useful advice? Thank you! 🙂

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 2:40 PM

8 replies

Mar 19, 2012 8:43 AM in response to Kraglos

FWIW and IMHO, I don't think and can't imagine an iPad being adequate for an Engineering student for several reasons.

1. It is difficult to share research/team projects with other students

2. No usb file sharing

3. No file structure

4. Inadequate document creation apps

5. Loss of some formatting in documents saved as Microsoft documents

6. Requires extra steps to ensure assignments are correctly formatted and readible by professors

7. Some engineering sites / programs may require java or flash, neither of which are supported by the iPad

8. I can't imagine typing large engineering papers containing complex graphics and tables on an iPad

9. The screen is far too small to read complex material easily

10. ...

But maybe the iPad will work for you. It did not for me.

Mar 19, 2012 12:22 PM in response to Kraglos

Thank you for the answers guys!

@Meg St._Clair, One of the drawbacks that is keeping me from buying everything I mentioned is the price... I consider it is spending money on apps that do basically the same, so I was kinda looking for some tips on the one I would use the most.

@BobTheFisherman, I am aware of the list you've made and I completely agree with you. However, I was thinking on using the iPad for taking notes and viewing slides in class, while leaving everything else (creating papers, projects etc) to my laptop.

Mar 19, 2012 1:39 PM in response to Kraglos

Circus Ponies' Notebook app allows you to create diagrams, equations, etc. and embedd them in your notes. You can also attach and annotate PDF documents. You can use Dropbox to sync between the iPad and Mac, and you can export note pages to HTML for sharing on websites. It is a little pricey, but has more features than most note taking apps. There are versions for the iPad and the Mac.

iPad app for college.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.