Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Data Recovery Software for OS X 10.4 Tiger?

What is the best recovery software for Mac OS X 10.4.11?

Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002) Dual, Mac OS X (10.4.11), I also use MacOS 9.2.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 4:21 PM

18 replies

Mar 18, 2012 4:51 PM in response to Angel Llorente

Well, as I said in the other topic, the best recovery is not to need the software in the first place but to ensure you have a backup at all times. I haven't needed recovery softare but from my reading of others' experiences you get your files back but they may be missing names so then you have fun sorting out 300,000 unnamed files.

Mar 18, 2012 5:08 PM in response to Angel Llorente

Diskwarrior isn't recovery software as such, but is probably worth the investment if you have a spare $100. Recovery software will, for example, help you recover a file you accidentally erased, or maybe even recover files from a drive that its truly bad. DW repairs drive where errors are resulting from a bad listing of the files in the directory. This can happen even under simple events such as a power failure. DW can also be used as a maintenance tool.

Let's say you were having problems with a drive. We'd normally recommend trying DW first because it is nicer to sudddenly have the drive more or less back to pre-damage state. Then if DW doesn't work we recommend trying to salvage files using a recovery tool. DW won't recover deleted files though.

Recovery tools such as Datarescue or FileSalvage have trial modes to let them have a look at your drive and see if they can do anything about recovering files.

Mar 21, 2012 11:05 PM in response to Limnos

but they may be missing names so then you have fun sorting out 300,000 unnamed files

Limnos...Recently Stellar Phoenix Mac has released its new version v5.0 which can recover deleted files with their original file names. The software recovers deleted/lost files and folders, recovery of data from unmountable volumes and greater than 2 TB hard drive. I see many other new features very interesting in this version. Stellar Phoenix provides a free demo version which can be downloaded from their website. Also the software is compatible with OS X 10.4 Tiger,10.5 Leopard,10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion. I hope it helps !!

Mar 9, 2013 9:40 PM in response to Angel Llorente

Yep you can retrieve data by yourself. There are programs to do that. For example Wondershare Data Recovery.

I used it few times.

But there is a sad news. I'm not sure but most of these programs work with NTFS and FAT32 files systems. I recently tried to find something that would work with ext4 but I was unsuccessful. So, because OS X is using HFS+ file system there could be problem with software. But I can't believe that they don't exist.

To sum up try to google "recovering HFS+ partition" or find program for recovering data that can work with HFS+ file system.

Good luck!

Mar 5, 2016 9:07 PM in response to Angel Llorente

I forget what is the largest disk size for Tiger. I have a 1terabyte external firewire drive. I think it is over 2t.

You need an external Firewire drive to boot a PowerPC Mac computer [ a few G5's will boot from USB ].

I recommend you do a google search on any external harddrive you are looking at.

I bought a low cost external drive enclosure. When I started having trouble with it, I did a google search and found a lot of complaints about the drive enclosure. I ended up buying a new drive enclosure. On my second go around, I decided to buy a drive enclosure with a good history of working with Macs. The chip set seems to be the key ingredient. The Oxford line of chips seems to be good. I got the Oxford 911.

I'd give OWC a call. 1-815-338-8685.

FireWire 800 + USB 3, + eSATA

&

save a little money interface:

FireWire 400 + USB 2.0

This web page lists both external harddrive types. You may need to scroll to the right to see both.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

(2) FireWire 800/400 Ports (Up to 100MB/s / 50MB/s)

(1) USB 3.0 Port (Up to 500MB/s / 60MB/s)

(1) eSATA Port (Up to 300MB/s)

Has a combo firewire 800/400 port. Not sure what this is. Looks like you will need 400 cable.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack

Best Data Recovery Software for OS X 10.4 Tiger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.