Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible? delete/edit unused genre tags stored by auto-complete

Is there any way to edit the stored ITunes Auto-Complete stash of genre tags? I can -- and do -- clean up the tags I myself want to use, but I have no way to access all those useless, unwanted tags stored by auto-complete. Auto-complete is very useful for entering Info in iTunes but it can be quite the hindrance too. I'm constantly have to do workaround edits to force correction of an auto-complete insistence; and in the Genre dropdown menu, I have to wade through tons of unused, unwanted tags to reach the one I prefer to use.

My third party programs which have auto complete usually ALSO provide me the means to edit and delete such tags. I sure would like to be able to do this in iTunes. What a mess it is.

If there is a way, but involves Terminal, I would appreciate very detailed instructions. The only time I venture into Terminal is when someone kindly holds my hand :-)) and even then, I'm nervous until the deed is done. That I'd consider Terminal shows my desperation to be free of the iTunes autocomplete tyranny.

Lion 10.7.3, iTunes 10.6

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 4:23 PM

There are no replies.

Possible? delete/edit unused genre tags stored by auto-complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.