Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new iPad (2012) display problems ( backlit bleeding and color cast )

My brandnew iPad (black, 64 GB, G4 At&T) has two major display problems.

1. The white balance is completely off showing a reddish tint accross the entire screen. Also black does not show as real black but rather as gray/light gray.

2. On the bottom of the screen ( in landscape mode and home button to the right ) there are three areas where the backlit LEDs are bleeding into the screen area. My brightness is set to 50% and the bleeding is visible watching a movie. Totally unacceptable and reason for a full return or refund.

I will wait three days if the color cast goes away then I will contact Apple to find out what my options are. I have ordered this iPad online and it is engraved. I wonder what will happen to the engraving part if they offer to replace the unit. This is NOT a repair since iPads are getting exchanged rather then repaired.

In addition I am reading on iFixit.com 's website that Samsung is among the display manufacturers ( figure that !! ) and wonder if I could get a replacement iPad from a different manufacturer since a lot of other iPads from initial stock may have the same problems as I do.

There is at least one friend of mine who has the same backlit problems but not the color cast problem. His iPad is also a 4 G model.

Is anyone in the community having same or similar problems? Don't post here if your iPad is fine. It won't help this case.

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + 4G, iOS 5.1, AT&T, black

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 5:05 PM

5 replies

Mar 18, 2012 11:01 AM in response to nyappleman

I noticed on my iPad 3 that compared to my iPad 2, the iPad 3 whites have a grayish tint to them. They are not white. I like the sharpness of the screen, but the colors are quite muted. I exchanged my iPad 3 this morning. The colors are the same muted colors, but my 4G service works now (it didn't on the original iPad 3).

They told me it's a different screen technology. I get that. But I expect white to be white, not gray.

FYI, I had mine engraved too. If you want to exchange and get engraving, they told me i would need to call Apple care. But, I just went into the store and exchanged it for an unengraved one.

Hope this helps.

Mar 20, 2012 10:28 AM in response to nyappleman

As a photographer I use my iPad 1 as a portable portfolio. I received my new iPad 3 last Friday, loaded it up and compared it with my iPad 1 - noticed the green/yellow tint on the iPad 3, called Apple support, who told me to take it in to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store, where the rep compared the images on my iPad 1 with my iPad 3 and agreed that there was a color problem. We tried the same image on another iPad 3 in the store and it looked just as bad. I asked the rep at the Genius Bar whether this was a known problem and he said no. Since they could not guarantee me that there would be a fix forthcoming, I had to return my new iPad and ask for my money back.

The resolution on the new iPad screen is stunning so I'm hoping that Apple can get the color cast problem resolved as I sure would like to use this new devise to show off my portfolio.

Apr 14, 2012 5:36 AM in response to nyappleman

Same problems for me. In landscape modes with homebutton to the left I experience my white screen to appear form the top slightly bluish and exactly that is the area with the back lights are bleeding in. From the center to the border the bleeding decreases which means the blueish appears as a Segment of a circle bleeding in.

The other sides are more reddish and over all the screen looks like a pillow where the thickest points are the white and the thinnest points are the red tinted areas.

Like This:

ROOOOOOOOOR

RROOOOOOORR

RRROOOOORRR

RRROWWWORRR

RRROWWWORRR

RRROOOOORRR

RROOOOOOORR

ROOOOOOOOOR

R=red

O=blue

W=white

new iPad (2012) display problems ( backlit bleeding and color cast )

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.