Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it so hard to research a proper replacement for my SuperDrive?

Folks: I have a late 2009 27" iMac. I am very capable of repairing my own machine. I replaced the HD over the holiday break without a glitch. My struggle is my SuperDrive needs replacing. It will no longer burn dual layer disks. So, I thought it would be simple to find a replacement and get one ordered. NOPE. The names of drives don't really help shoppers shop by brand, etc. Mine is a "HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N". Nice. Try googling that...Some say that name relates to an LG brand drive, while others clearly don't agree.

The question: How is an end user supposed to replace such a part if trying to find an exact match it is so difficult? Also, there have been so many others with failed drives that I really don't want to buy a used one, as I'm sure it too would fail; however, general internet serches don't give me many options for new. Perhaps that is because I still don't know the true brand of the existing "turd" that is in my Mac. Anyone have a link or suggestion to find the right match for a 2009 27inch iMac? I'm tired of looking and not seeing much out there. You would think there would be clear options or ways to shop for an "upgraded and compatable" drive. If there are such options, I clearly can't find them.

Frustrated

Mr TKH

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 27 inch, 1 TB HD

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 6:30 PM

12 replies

Mar 17, 2012 9:18 PM in response to TKRWH

I'd second the suggestion to get an external burner; I've used a LaCie for years - less finicky, burns any media and just works.

The question: How is an end user supposed to replace such a part if trying to find an exact match it is so difficult?

iMacs weren't really designed to have parts replaced by end users (except for RAM).

Mar 17, 2012 10:52 PM in response to babowa

Wow, great replies by all. I've seriously thought about a good external. My concerns was data throughput. Clearly I've not done the homework yet, so perhaps someone can answer this for me. Does USB 2.0 exceed the writing speed of any DVD/CD drive? I was wondering if a USB drive would take longer to burn with USB was slower than the SATA that's internal.

Oh, and no way I'm ready to junk this computer yet. I need 5 years out of it to be worth the price tag (just my personal logic). We've used it daily and loved it. Only pain has been the DVD drive. My past HD failure was just a draw of the luck as eventually all HDs fail. Again, thanks for the replies. I'd love to get some good opinions on solid externals.

Mar 18, 2012 3:56 AM in response to TKRWH

Yeah, Firewire is the way to go. I have a DL LaCie Firewire 400 optical drive and it is double the speed of the internal drive of my 24" iMac and accepts just about any kind of disc, whereas the internal drive will spit out 90% of the discs I try. It's quite odd that, I will buy a pack of Verbatum discs (a recommended brand) and the iMac's drive will accept half of them and spit the others out. However, my LaCie drive will even accept the 'el cheapo' discs. Save yourself the headache and get an external Firewire drive.

Mar 18, 2012 12:31 PM in response to TKRWH

Does this drive perform other tasks properly? Perhaps the lens is dirty? The CD/DVD drives on Macs, especially the laptops get dusty due to the cooling system sucking air in through the slot opening. If this drive is hard to get at without major disassembly of the machine, just take a credit card or business card, wrap a cotton cloth around it, gently insert it into the slot, slide it to the left (most lenses are parked toward the left side of the open slot, furthest from the spindle), and gently pull out. Do that a few times, turning the cloth. Do NOT use any cleaners or water. It's a simple first step diagnostic before spending money and time on a new drive.

Mar 19, 2012 10:51 AM in response to Matthew D'Amico

Indeed it does perform other tasks correclty. I can burn 4.7G DVDs, CDs and watch movies. I just can get it to read Dual Layer disks. I manually cleaned the lens by extracting the drive, taking the top off of it and with a little rubbing alcohol wipting just the lense with cotton. I made sure it was dried with a clean cotton ball and had no dust before replacing top and putting my iMac back together. Unfortunately, none of that helped. I sincerely think it might even be a software issue with this specific drive, as I've burned DL disks in the past undre 10.6.

Why is it so hard to research a proper replacement for my SuperDrive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.