Skip navigation

Poor wifi reception on new iPad

407595 Views 1,476 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2014 1:59 PM by CEB20816 RSS
1 2 3 ... 99 Previous Next
stlsteve Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 17, 2012 7:33 PM

I am in a hotel with my laptop and new ipad3. The laptop wifi reception is as strong as it gets, but the iPad only registers a weak signal. Anyone else having similar problems? Any suggestions?

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1
  • grubbii Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 17, 2012 8:25 PM (in response to stlsteve)

I am seeing this too.  I am currently writing this from mymipad 1 because my new iPad RIGHT BESIDE ME doesn't pick up my wifi signal....

Apple new fault?

• It_caveman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 18, 2012 9:08 AM (in response to stlsteve)

Same here ipad2 has twice the wifi range with the same settings as the ipad3. The screens nice but I may return mine if this is the way they all are.

• Sully2003 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 18, 2012 9:54 AM (in response to It_caveman)

Same here! Will not hold WIFI for more than a few minutes. Two MacBooks and iPhone working fine from same router. Ready to return iPad!!!!!

Mar 18, 2012 10:19 AM (in response to stlsteve)

I had an ipad1 and no problems,  ipad2 and no problems, ipad3 wifi is WEAK. Settings are the same as the ipad2. I am running a iPhone 4s and an i7 MacBook air on the same routers. I have two year old Apllt Airport Extreme, one at work one at home and there are setup the same. Only the iPad two give me wifi issues. All routers and devices have all updates installed. I even tried a dual band netgear router and all my stuff has great connectivity and range expect the iPad. If this is the trade off for the better display, it just not worth it and then new pad will be returned for refund. I'll give it a few more days to see if Apple release any updates that might help but for the first time the hype of the new device just hasn't stacked up

Mar 18, 2012 10:24 AM (in response to It_caveman)

Had a typo ..... Only the iPad 3 gives me trouble .......sorry about that.......a bit frustrated that $877 later and I have a subpar new pad.

Mar 18, 2012 10:29 AM (in response to stlsteve)

What kind of router are the others on this thread using with the new iPad?   I've tried my normal Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and a dual band Netgear (3700) with the same poor results on the  the new iPad3.

• LSAppleFan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 18, 2012 10:39 AM (in response to stlsteve)

Same problem. Have the Decorah Eagles live cam running on my MacPro, Mac desktop, and Mac Air on home network no problem. The New IPad - continually loading with occasional brief connection. THIS IS A PROBLEM APPLE YOU NEED TO FIX IT!

Thank you.

Mar 18, 2012 10:57 AM (in response to LSAppleFan)

I've done some measuring on range iPad2 out to about 75ft before dropping to 2 bars and out to 100ft and still get 1 to 2 bars.   .........  iPad3 out to 35ft before dropping to two bars and at 45 to 50 ft you're down to one bar. Past that you can forget it. What a rip off this new device has turned out to be. Come on Apple, you can't keep customers doing things like this.

• Hitcheak Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 18, 2012 11:06 AM (in response to It_caveman)

My shiny new iPad only works if I sit within six feet of my router. Tried two routers and it's the same. I sold my iPad 1. How I wish I could have it back. This one is no more use than a desktop with an Ethernet connection.

Mar 18, 2012 12:01 PM (in response to Hitcheak)

I feel you pain. Mines going back and I'll another used iPad2 for what I needed a second one for. Bad Apple!

• indiekiduk2 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Mar 18, 2012 12:04 PM (in response to It_caveman)

wifi is broken on my new ipad. here is the console output:

Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: =============================================================================== =

Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANBusInterfaceHSIC::start(): ERROR: Device has transitioned into CPUless mode!!!

Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANBusInterfaceHSIC::start(): Please file a radar in Purple WiFi HSIC and attach the output of: ioreg -l -w0

Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: =============================================================================== =

Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANBusInterfaceHSIC::handleCPULessMode(): Dumping SoCRAM to registry property (CPULessSoCRAM) under wlan

Mar 17 15:20:41 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANJ1PlatformManager::reconnectBus(): Error (I/O timeout) waiting for bus to reconnect, tid(000001b0), will reset chip, (numClients: 1) (ConnectNotReceived:0

Mar 17 15:20:41 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANCore::getSUPPORTED_CHANNELS(): chanspecs failed, error device is offline

Mar 18, 2012 12:07 PM (in response to indiekiduk2)

This the console output from what????

• a1000 Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
    Mar 18, 2012 12:10 PM (in response to stlsteve)

I've noticed the range issue also compared to both an iPad 1 and 2. So far it hasn't been too much of a problem though. It may be though when I'm out and about using public wifi.

1 2 3 ... 99 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (36)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.