Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos on iPad from photo library

How do I delete photos on an iPad from the photo library?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 7:09 PM

The same way the photos were transferred from your computer to the photo library - via the iTunes sync/transfer process.

8 replies

Mar 25, 2012 11:48 PM in response to Skydiver119

On ipad2 Photo library I now have mostly pics copied from web sites etc and I am able to delete with trash can however others that I took with the iPad have no trash can and the box in upper corner with arrow just says "email, tweet, etc"

Any ideas about deleting these as they are mostly junk! Photo stream is turned on.

In related issue, all this junk and more that I could delete on iPad is on my iPhone 4s and I see no way to get rid of any of that either. Please help.

Mar 26, 2012 4:34 AM in response to Bamatuscaloosa

Photos captured by the iPad are stored in the same location as photos saved from a received email or from a website. All photos in this location can be deleted direct from the iPad. Under Albums that would be all photos in the Camera Roll album.

Photos transferred from your computer via the iTunes sync/transfer process are deleted from your iPad in the same way - via the iTunes sync/transfer process.

If you have Photo Stream turned on with each device, all photos in the Camera Roll on each device will be available in the Photo Stream on each device. Capture a photo with your iPhone which is stored in the Camera Roll and the photo will be placed on your Photo Stream as well which in turn will be available in the Photo Stream on your iPad and vice-versa. The same with photos saved from a received email or from a website on eithe device which are stored in the Camera Roll. Beginning with iOS 5.1, you can delete photos direct from the Photo Stream on either device.

Mar 26, 2012 9:15 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks for your reply.

First 3 tabs in photos are Photos, Photo Stream and Albums.

1. Photos contains things I could delete and some I cannot..none of these are from PC.

2. Photo stream I can delete as I have 5.1.

3. Albums has an album called MY PHOTO STREAM. In it are all the undeletable pics which are also in photos. They cannot be deleted on pad. I don't know where this came from. Any ideas how I can get rid of it. The cloud and stream is a bit baffling to me. Thanks for your time.

These undeletable pics do not show up in camera roll or anywhere else.

Oct 4, 2015 10:57 AM in response to Bamatuscaloosa

I can't seem to create a new message/post, so I have to respond to this one, but I have the same problem with being unable to delete the Photo Library off my ipad.

I am trying to delete the photo library off my ipad mini, which is taking up 6.3 mb of space. I have imported and deleted every single photo on the mini. When I touch the "photos" button on the ipad, there are 17 photos still there, which is fine. Certainly those 17 photos can't be taking up 6.3 mb of space.

On itunes, I go to "photos" and click off "sync photos" and apply. nothing happens. I tried the "trick" of creating an "Empty" folder in my Pictures folder and only syncing to that folder. Nothing happens.

I have clicked off photos in icloud on the mini. I have clicked off all the tabs under "photos and library" under the mini.

I have removed the icloud "family sharing" from the mini. I went into every app and turned off "photos". Still nothing happens.

I'm at a loss, any more suggestions?

Thank you

P.S. Why won't the website let me create a new post?

How do I delete photos on iPad from photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.